Details: Salary commensurate with experience.
The Fresh Air Fund has provided free summer experiences to more than 1.8 million New York City children from low-income communities since 1877. Each summer, thousands of children visit volunteer host families in rural and suburban communities along the East Coast and Southern Canada or attend five Fresh Air camps on more than 2,000 acres in Fishkill, New York. Young people also participate in year-round leadership and educational programs. The Fresh Air Fund is an independent not-for-profit agency.
The Fresh Air Fund (FAF) seeks a Volunteer Coordinator to recruit volunteers and manage volunteer participation for our summer and year-round programs.
Under the direction of the Senior Manager, Development, the Volunteer Coordinator oversees the recruitment of individual volunteers who serve as tutors and mentors for our year-round programs and works to arrange volunteer projects for our Corporate Partners.
- Manage recruitment of individual volunteers to serve as tutors and mentors for Career Awareness and College Connections programs; interview candidates and coordinate background checks.
- Work closely with Senior Manager to develop new and support existing corporate philanthropic partnerships that yield volunteers as well as revenue and in-kind resources.
- Collaborate with program staff on activities and events that need volunteer support; coordinate all pre-event logistics; serve as lead staff person for volunteer events including corporate camp days, calling nights, outreach events, stuffing nights.
- Manage coordination of and attend corporate job-shadowings for the Career Awareness Program (CAP).
- Collaborate with program staff to recruit speakers for and coordinate their participation in the annual Career Fair.
- Compile monthly volunteer hour reports for internal use and to share with corporate partners.
- Collect, maintain and share volunteer impact and satisfaction metrics.
- Manage volunteer communications, including volunteer announcements, correspondence, e-newsletters.
- Respond to volunteer inquiries via phone and email.
- Implement and innovate volunteer recognition efforts.
- Represent The Fresh Air Fund at volunteer fairs.
- Coordinate delivery and tracking of in-kind donations, including printed materials.
- Provide additional administrative assistance to the Development Department as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS
- College degree and 2-3 years work experience required.
- Prior experience coordinating volunteer activities a plus.
- Enthusiasm for the mission of serving children in New York City’s low-income communities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; able to represent The Fresh Air Fund and the volunteer opportunities well via phone and email.
- Collaborative mindset with focus on providing a meaningful experience for volunteers while ensuring needs of the FAF programs are addressed.
- Handles pressure with grace and diplomacy; able to anticipate problems and present solutions quickly.
- Team player who can build strong relationships with internal and external partners.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office - Excel, Word, PowerPoint); comfort with learning new systems and technologies; experience with volunteer or development databases a plus.
- Evening hours and some weekend work required as necessary.
The Fresh Air Fund is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring, and dedicated to diversity in its work and on its staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations and communities to apply.
Generous benefits package including health, vacation and retirement.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email resumes and cover letters to DevJobs@freshair.org with Volunteer Coordinator in the subject line. No calls please.