Details: Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
1900 Lexington Avenue
JustLeadershipUSA (JLUSA) is dedicated to cutting the U.S. correctional population in half by 2030. On the guiding principle that those closest to the problem are closest to the solution, JLUSA empowers people most affected by incarceration to drive policy reform and decarceration. JLUSA was launched in November 2014.
JustLeadershipUSA seeks a driven, experienced, ambitious, and entrepreneurial Associate Director of Development. Reporting to the Director of Development (DoD), and working closely with the Board of Directors, and senior leadership, the ideal candidate will strengthen current fundraising practices and help develop new strategies, primarily amongst institutional foundations and individual donors. JLUSA seeks a professional with a passion for justice who can build on, and strengthen, a sophisticated development department in a fast-paced and evolving organization. With our bold ambitions and unique theory of change, this is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to have a significant impact on redefining justice in America.
Development at JustLeadershipUSA
JLUSA’s annual budget is primarily supported by private foundation grants, membership, and our annual benefit. The Associate Director of Development will cultivate foundation and corporate donor relationships; build and maintain individual donation relationships, manage the grant writing and reporting process, and spearhead the annual benefit. In order for JLUSA to scale up, it will be essential to the organization’s direction that funding continues to rise significantly, particularly in the area of major gifts. JLUSA’s development goals include a substantial increase in unrestricted contributions in subsequent years, growth in individual and organizational memberships, and creation of a high-functioning development operation.
The Associate Director of Development will report to the DoD, and work closely with the JLUSA staff, and board of directors. In particular, (s)he will help the DoD and outside consultants establish annual organizational fundraising goals for institutional and major donor support and develop the strategies to achieve and execute those goals.
Core responsibilities for this position include:
· Design and implement fundraising initiatives to set and secure revenue goals including organizational and portfolio goals;
· Research, identify and qualify funding opportunities from foundation, corporate, and major donor sources;
· Maintain relationships with a portfolio of foundation, corporate, and individual donors;
· Manage donor tracking system efficiently to ensure accurate records and timely communication with funders; oversee grants calendar and maintain up-to-date database for all institutional and individual donors;
· Collect information and develop materials about JLUSA programs to show progress in high quality written reports to donors to ensure continued support;
· Develop a deep understanding of program content to ensure integrity and highest quality proposal writing;
· Work with key staff to develop and implement strategy for educating and stewarding donors;
· Collaborate with JLUSA staff to ensure grant outcomes and milestones are met;
· Set strategies for and develop and oversee all institutional fundraising concepts, plans, budgets, and operations for contributed income from foundations and corporate donors;
· Help create comprehensive development reports to be shared, distributed, and verbally reported at quarterly board meetings;
· Staff the board of directors in all fundraising efforts and work closely with board committees and the President to set goals and direction for broadening the support;
· Support the planning and execution of JLUSA’s annual benefit and other fundraising events;
· Support JLUSA staff in data entry in Salesforce for fundraising contacts, activities, and gifts processing.
JustLeadershipUSA seeks a candidate with the following qualities and skills:
· Ideally, 7+ years of experience working as senior level generalist frontline fundraiser or in an institutional giving department;
· A passion for and working knowledge of social justice and criminal justice issues;
· Excellent writing skills with an ability work on multiple written projects simultaneously;
· Experience in frontline fundraising and working directly with and maintaining excellent working relationships with donors;
· Demonstrated experience in fundraising leadership positions, with a proven track record of securing foundation and corporate grants and gifts from major donors (five-figure to six-figure gifts);
· Knowledge of and experience working with fundraising databases (preferably Salesforce);
· Highly numerate with strong financial skills;
· Capacity to set and execute fundraising strategy;
· Ability to multitask projects;
· Experience working productively with boards and/or other high-level volunteers;
· Experience in managing people, and ability to delegate tasks to volunteers and interns;
· Excellent interpersonal communications skills; and
· Comfort working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply
Please send cover letter with salary requirement and detailing your interest in JustLeadershipUSA to email@example.com with subject line: Last Name, First Name, Job Title. Also, please attach your resume and writing sample(s)
Salary commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please use Associate Director of Development in the subject line.
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
JustLeadershipUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, or current employment status.
JustLeadershipUSA values diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and justice system involvement. People with criminal justice records are encouraged to apply. We depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.
For more information about JustLeadershipUSA, visit our website at