Details: mid 30s, adjusted for experience over the minimum requirements
565 Congress Street
Mobilize the grassroots and build leadership in communities in order to protect children and families from toxic chemicals in food, water, and products while supporting sustainable biobased alternatives.
What You’ll Do: You will strategically identify and engage new and current activists, individuals, and communities to build our network and drive our campaigns. You will implement community outreach activities, mentor and grow volunteer advocates, and work with our partners and coalitions to meet our campaign and organizational goals.
Who We Need: We’re looking for someone who enjoys effectively engaging individuals and mobilizing communities to take action. You have past experience in community organizing (even if not professionally) and a passion for working on the grassroots level. You have a proven commitment to progressive values and social change and a familiarity with and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and anti-oppression frameworks and values.
This is a unique opportunity to build a growing movement to tackle root causes of disease by protecting children and other vulnerable populations from toxic chemicals in food, drinking water, and products, while supporting a just and sustainable economy.
- Community Outreach - Deliver outreach programs to raise awareness (particularly in directly affected communities), educate residents on health protective behaviors, connect residents to community resources, identify stakeholders, recruit new supporters, and strengthen our environmental health and sustainable economy programs
- Grassroots Advocacy - Mobilize people to influence targeted decision makers through active participation in issue campaigns
- Leadership Development - Work closely with activists to build their leadership and develop their skills, their level of engagement, and sense of ownership
- Organization Building - Build our base by actively recruiting new supporters and systematically plugging volunteers, interns, activists, and business & community leaders into the activities and structures of our organizations
- Coalition Organizing - Support coalition building and membership development across the organization to advance our mission
- Grassroots Fundraising - Support grassroots fundraising work
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college with a relevant focus (Environmental Studies, Human Ecology, etc.)
- Some experience organizing, including leadership development, outreach, and mobilization (Experience can come from professional, community, labor, volunteer, and/or student leadership experiences);
- Experience or expertise in environmental, public health, or sustainable economic development or related areas
- Outstanding people skills & high level of empathy;
- Excellent communication skills with a strong ability to translate complex ideas and scientific principles to diverse audiences;
- Proven capacity to work effectively in teams of diverse people and organizations;
- Demonstrated writing and editing skills;
- Strong organizational, communications, computer, problem-solving and analytical skills;
- High levels of self-motivation and direction;
- Proven commitment to progressive values and social change, as well as to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Experience with advocacy, volunteer management, facilitation, coalition organizing, and working with a contact database strongly preferred. Experience in or passion for environmental, public health, or sustainable economic development or related areas ideal.
The organizer must have a reliable car and a valid driver’s license. Some night and weekend work with occasional long hours will be required.
Environmental Health Strategy Center is a public health organization working to ensure that all people are healthy and thriving in a fair and healthy economy. We work to ensure that everyone has access to safe food and drinking water, toxic-free products and good green jobs. Our 501(c)(4) advocacy partner, Prevent Harm, works to ensure our elected leaders will fight to fix our broken chemical safety system. We also work with a partner trade association, Biobased Maine, to keep families healthy by promoting biobased manufacturing and the good-paying jobs and safe products it creates.
We're a dynamic, creative, growing 15-year-old nonprofit organization, both advancing policy in our state and leading national campaigns in collaboration with groups across the country. In the workplace and in the world, we are committed to diversity, inclusion, and environmental justice.
Location: You’ll join us in Portland, Maine, a Northeast gem where food is fab, local music is great, craft beer is flowing, and the city is growing! In a state known as “vacationland,” you’ll find hiking, biking, skiing, boating, and beautiful beaches are all close by.
Salary: mid 30s, adjusted for experience over the minimum requirements
Benefits: Medical, dental, and vision insurance; 401K; four weeks paid vacation, a generous number of paid holidays, as well as sick leave.
For More Information: A full job description is available on our website.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter highlighting your interest in the position and how your skills and background align with the qualifications, along with a resume using our online application at JobScore.
Application Deadline: Application review will take place as applications are received. You may verify the position is still open by visiting the application link above.
The Environmental Health Strategy Center is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, disability, or national origin.
Medical, dental, and vision insurance; 401K; four weeks paid vacation, a generous number of paid holidays, as well as sick leave.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter highlighting your interest in the position and how your skills and background align with the qualifications, along with a resume using our online application at https://www.jsco.re/28npq