San Ramon de Tres Rios
Provincia de Cartago
Founded in 1994, Outward Bound Costa Rica offers a range of experiential education programs to high school, college students and adults that promise challenging physical activities across Costa Rica and Panama with a focus on personal development, leadership, and cultural immersion.
The Communications Office is a small, collaborative team responsible for all communications, sales, marketing and customer service tasks organization-wide. Staffers are charged with increasing course participation across all target audiences and ensuring excellent customer service communication to prospective students and families, to families of students currently on course, to alumni and partners.
The Media & Marketing Manager plays a crucial role in the Communications Office and is responsible for successfully marketing Outward Bound Costa Rica and its programs internationally through various social media outreach methods, maintaining and updating the OBCR website, researching 3rd party sites for collaboration, updating all course pictures and descriptions, creating new content on all social media channels and maintaining our relationship with local and international media centers of influence.
This role focuses on extensive external communication and essential digital aptitude. Candidates must have excellent written and verbal English skills, be conversant in Spanish, have strong attention to detail, and proven success in marketing, social media content and writing.
This position requires relocating to Costa Rica and committing to a 24-month contract. Desired start date is September 13, 2018 or sooner.
The Media & Marketing Manager reports directly to the Director of Marketing & Communications. Hours are 9am to 5pm, some compensated on-call weekends during high season from June to August and limited travel.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE MEDIA & MARKETING MANAGER
- Develop and lead strategies for online marketing and advertising including Google Adwords, third-party referral sites, Facebook ads, and more
- Boost website visits by tracking Google Analytics and leading Search Engine Optimization efforts
- Update website as needed using Wordpress and beginner HTML coding as needed
- Serve as primary copywriter for communications materials
- Develop targeted marketing and outreach newsletters and e-blasts to new and existing audiences to maximize program participation
- Design materials for print and web as needed
- Manage Outward Bound Costa Rica’s social networking efforts including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, etc., and serve as the organization’s “voice” across these platforms
- Proactively liaise with students and outdoor field staff to obtain photos, videos, and content for social media
- Develop and maintain editorial calendar for the Outward Bound Costa Rica blog. Research and write articles and assign posts to interns and fellow staff as needed
- Develop and lead public relations strategies to generate widespread brand awareness and boost enrollment.
- Draft and distribute press releases for Outward Bound Costa Rica students to garner coverage in local media outlets.
- Maintain alumni ambassador database and develop strategies to encourage increased, long-term communication with Outward Bound Costa Rica.
- 2+ years professional experience in marketing with responsibility for social media, recruitment outreach/engagement, public relations communications, Google analytics and design
- Experience managing people
- Proven customer service and administration skills
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or related field
- Strong organization and project management skills
- Proven experience managing multiple social media platforms and ability to generate innovative ideas to expand online presence
- Motivated to initiate and lead projects
- Creative and professional writing skills
- Design skills
- Conversant in Spanish
- Proficient in Microsoft Office & Excel; HTML, WordPress, and Google Analytics
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) or similar platform
- Experience with photo and video platforms
- Experience with MailChimp and Salesforce or similar platforms
- Cultural sensitivity
- Willingness and ability to live and work in close quarters with a small group of peopleStrong cross-cultural communication skills
- Spanish language skills (conversational ability or above strongly preferred)
- Personal interest in the outdoors and the mission of Outward Bound
- Ability to multi-task and stay focused despite regular interruption
- Sense of humor
- Tenacity about traveling and ability to create a personal connections outside of the work environment
- Ability to manage conflict professionally
- At least one year living, working or studying outside of your home country
- Salary plus bonus
- 30 days paid vacation plus 4 days throughout each year for visa renewal and additional comp days for weekend hours during high season
- Travel insurance coverage (WorldNomads), preventative medical stipend, and additional coverage through INS (the insurance provider of Outward Bound Costa Rica)
- Round trip airfare to Costa Rica
- Private bedroom in a furnished 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom house on the OBCR main base located SE of San Jose in San Ramon de Tres Rios
- All utilities included (water, electricity, phone, cable TV, wireless internet)
- Access to Outward Bound Costa Rica courses and equipment for personal use when available
- Use of Manuel Antonio beach base when approved by the Director of Programming and Director of Marketing & Communications
Level of Language Proficiency
English fluency and conversational level Spanish required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Submit cover letter, resume, and samples of your photo and additional work to Brynna Rao, Director of Marketing & Communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Specify “Media & Marketing Manager” in the subject line. Be sure to include details on your availability, both for interviews and ultimate start date. Visit our website to learn more about OBCR at: www.OutwardBoundCostaRica.org
No phone calls please.
Applications are due as soon as possible for immediate review, but no later than October 15, 2018.