Glasswing International is an innovative non-profit that addresses poverty and violence through public education, health and community empowerment programs. Through civic participation and volunteerism, Glasswing empowers communities, as well as providing educational and enrichment opportunities for at-risk children and youth in Latin America, the Caribbean, and New York City, enabling them to thrive despite adversity.
Our cross-sector model builds partnerships across public, private, and civil society sectors, leveraging human, financial, and material resources to achieve the greatest – and most sustainable – impact possible. We strengthen communities’ existing resources rather than focusing on their needs and deficiencies, and believe that every person, regardless of educational or socioeconomic level, has the potential to give and effect change. This approach is not only more cost-effective and avoids duplicating efforts, but also empowers individuals and communities, promoting sustainability.
Glasswing is seeking a creative, collaborative, and motivated Communication Specialist to help develop and expand its communications and marketing outreach with target audiences, including individual donors, businesses, foundations, and government institutions, as well as the general public. The Communications Specialist will play a critical role in creating messaging and writing inspiring materials, success stories, newsletters, website copy, and social media content. We are looking for someone who loves to write, is a strong writer, and has experience writing and editing a variety of communications materials. This is a great opportunity for someone who is interested in working in the NGO/NPO field and has an interest in international development, education, public health, or community development. Reporting to the US Country Director, the Communication Specialist will work closely with the regional teams including Communications, Programs, and New Business Development.
● Develop written content for external communications including but not limited to email newsletters, fundraising appeals, website, social media, event materials, fact sheets, and impact reports from the field.
● Coordinate with the regional communications and programs teams in Central America to create a pipeline of stories that demonstrate Glasswing’s impact.
● Produce, review, and edit various external communications materials.
● Collaborate with leadership, including Director of Strategic Partnerships, in preparation and revisions of capability statements, media and other materials for purposes of demonstrating and projecting knowledge leadership by Glasswing.
● Track performance of communications campaigns and any other outreach efforts, to better understand successful messaging and adjust future messaging accordingly.
● Help manage communications calendar.
● Collaborate with graphic designers to produce attractive and appropriate designed collateral.
● Work with the US Country Director to engage supporters in innovative and creative ways to show appreciation and the impact of their gifts.
● Assist in general event preparation and on-site support.
● Communications operations tasks as needed (e.g., scheduling newsletter in MailChimp)
Qualifications & Experience
● Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, or English
● 2-4 years of experience in communications preferred
● Outstanding writing skills and a sharp eye for detail
● Experience writing communications for a variety of audiences
● Ability to work with stakeholders at all levels of the organization
● Able to work in a dynamic and fast-changing work environment.
● Attention to detail and ability to think critically about the task at hand.
● Strong project management with the ability to jugglevarious projects and deadlines.
● Experience with Microsoft Office and G Suite.
● Experience with Communications and/or Fundraising Software a plus.
● Spanish Language fluency a preferred
Working Arrangements: The Communications Specialist will be based out of Glasswing’s NYC office. We are exploring what our hybrid work structure will be in post-COVID; however, this position will be expected to work at least partly from the NYC office when it is fully reopened.
How to Apply: Applications must include a resume, statement of interest, 2 writing short samples (e.g. newsletter, success story, appeal), and professional references (please include contact details and your relationship to the individual).
Glasswing International is an innovative non-profit that addresses poverty and violence through public education, health and community empowerment programs. Through civic participation and volunteerism, Glasswing…
We offer a competitive nonprofit compensation and benefits package which currently includes 15 days paid time off, 11 office holidays, the week between Christmas Day and New Year's Day, safe and sick leave days; a company medical insurance plan; and a 401(k) plan with employer match. This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position.
We offer a competitive nonprofit compensation and benefits package which currently includes 15 days paid time off, 11 office holidays, the week between Christmas Day and New Year…
Spanish fluency preferred.
Spanish fluency preferred.
Applications must include a resume, statement of interest, 2 writing short samples (e.g. newsletter, success story, appeal), and professional references (please include contact details and your relationship to the individual).