Details: Yearly Salary
SEIU 1199 New England (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Union Organizer - New Organizing
Location: Hartford, CT
The New England Health Care Employees Union, District 1199/SEIU is looking for smart, motivated individuals who want to help workers fight for better working conditions, dignity on the job, and improvements in health care for all working families.
District 1199 is a bold, democratic labor organization with a long activist tradition. We are the largest health care union in New England with 28,000 members and over the past 48 years we have used strategic campaigns and direct action to form unions, win significant victories for employees, and demand improvements for sick, elderly, and needy patients in nursing homes, state developmental disability and mental health facilities, hospitals and other health care centers.
The majority of our members and staff are women, and many are people of color, and/or immigrants.
Union Organizers on the New Organizing team help workers develop and run campaigns to form a union at the workplace, often against significant opposition from management and corporate owners.
Positions are based in Hartford, Connecticut.
- Through house visits, leafleting, and phone calls identify health care workers who are interested in forming a union.
- Meet with workers (one-on-one meetings, phone calls, house visits, and small group meetings) to discuss process of forming a union.
- Train and support workers to take action, organize a union drive, and become leaders in the workplace.
- Plan and lead actions, rallies, events, and strikes.
- Demonstrated leadership skills at work, on campus, or in the community. Experience as a union or community organizer preferred; experience working in health care also a plus.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures. Bilingual skills in Spanish, Creole/French, or Portuguese a plus.
- Ability to work independently, problem solve and manage time and priorities.
- Willingness to work long hours, including nights and weekends.
- Good listening, speaking and writing communication skills.
- Automobile and valid driver's license.
Salary dependent on experience; includes medical benefits, pension, and paid vacation time.
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for us, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
1199 New England is an Equal Opportunity Employer
<img src="https://rs.careerliaison.com/pixel/qvc24zy2xw35j7ww"><img src="https://analytics.click2apply.net/vAO8dkKskDopxur1xujd8A">
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply