20 North Upper Wacker Drive
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation’s most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science, and the support of more than three million members and activists to protect the planet’s wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. Founded in 1970, NRDC staff helped write some of America’s bedrock environmental laws. Today, our staff of more than 600 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, works to protect and create environmental progress from offices in New York; Washington, DC; Chicago; Los Angeles; San Francisco; Bozeman, Montana; and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a Program Assistant in our Chicago office to work with two Nature attorneys, Senior Attorney with the Sustainable FERC Project, and Attorney with Clean Vehicles & Fuels Project. This is an administrative position: The candidate must be able to efficiently handle administrative tasks such as: scheduling and coordinating internal and external meetings, coordinating and booking travel, processing expenses, managing budgets, performing basic research, proofreading and preparing written materials.
- Tracking project budget expenses and revenue;
- Processing invoices and business expenses;
- Organizing and manipulating data in Excel, including pivot tables;
- Scheduling and facilitating internal and external meetings;
- Maintaining calendar appointments and meetings;
- Coordinating travel arrangements;
- Editing, formatting, and proofreading documents and presentations;
- Basic research;
- Providing general administrative support and help with ad hoc projects as needed.
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience;
- 2 years previous administrative experience;
- Attention to detail, including strong proofreading skills (a proofreading test will be given during in-person interviews);
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, organize and coordinate multiple tasks, set priorities, follow organizational procedures, and perform quickly and accurately under deadlines;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Excellent time-management skills;
- Advanced computer skills in Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org
Minimum Education Required