105 Allston Street
West End House staff identify as passionate and innovative youth development professionals. They view their work as more than just a job. They are driven by equity and inclusion to build meaningful relationships with young people.
The Director of Sports and Fitness is responsible for ensuring their team is successful with development and implementation of programs that build a strong culture for healthy living for our youth and families. The ideal candidate will have manage staff while providing direct service to all members in areas such as strength and cardio training to sports leagues and swimming lessons. They would also share in the management of the daily operation to ensure a successful, overarching program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Effectively manage oversee direct reports by providing support, coaching and feedback, supervision, and guidance
- Ensure high quality programs for more than 400 young people who participate in sports and fitness programs each year
- Maintain high performance expectations for all team members that fosters a culture of teamwork, collaboration, and innovation.
- Work in partnership with and support of VP of Program Services to accomplish organizational goals and mission.
- Ensure program offerings meet the diverse needs of our members ensuring the engagement at least 60 minutes of traditional and non-traditional fitness activities each day.
- Oversee a variety of leagues and different competitive sport opportunities.
- Mange a variety partnerships in collaboration with the Senior Director of Fitness and Nutrition.
- Collect and track program data to develop strategies to help individuals improve overall healthy life styles.
- Develop and maintain influential and long-lasting relationships with Club youth, particularly those who are in greatest need of caring adults in their lives
- Strength Based Relationship Building - The WEH uses a strength based approach to build relationships that endure and contribute to positive outcomes for our young people. Staff focus on the assets of our young people, rather than the deficits, to support continuous growth;
- Innovation – WEH prides itself on creating and offering innovative and responsive programs. Staff members are expected to think outside the box, proactively problem solve, and be courageous in their daily work;
- Curiosity –WEH staff are enthusiastic to learn. They participate in personal and professional opportunities designed to challenge and expand to their knowledge base. They are encouraged to seek out learning experiences and actively participate in their own development;
- Data Informed - Assessing our impact is critical to insuring the best outcomes for our program participants. Our staff is expected to use data to inform current program content and future program development, ensuring our offerings meet the needs AND interest of our young people;
- Healthy Environment – Teaching our members the importance of living an active, healthy lifestyle is a priority. As such, our staff is expected to model healthy behavior while working with our young people;
- “Hands-On” mentality - candidate must work directly with kids and families.
- Relentless and proactively reaches out to youth, can see a youth succeeding even when the youth cannot see it her/himself
- Strong group facilitation skills balancing youth needs and interests.
- Ability to relate to culturally diverse group of youth as an instructor and mentor.
- Thrives in a collaborative and fast-paced environment; works hours as program and youth needs arise
- Witty with a fun sense of humor
- Bachelor degree in related course work required.
- At least two years of demonstrated supervisory or leadership experience at a Boys & Girls Club or similar organization.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the areas of athletics, fitness, recreation, aquatics, and/or leagues.
- Experience with innovative methods to contact and develop relationships with youth
- Strong classroom management and program facilitation skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of youth development
- Experience working in multicultural environments, bi-lingual (English/Spanish) a strong plus.
· Valid Massachusetts driver’s license preferred.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Our comprehensive benefits are designed to enhance all aspects of our employees’ lives: physical health, financial security, general well-being and professional development. Our package for full-time staff members that includes competitive salary; paid vacation, holiday, and sick days; health and dental coverage; life, short-term and long-term disability insurance; voluntary 403b participation; and a pension contribution upon eligibility.
The West End House Boys & Girls Club (WEH) is an independent Boys and Girls Club in the City of Boston that has been transforming the lives of immigrant and urban youth since its founding in 1906. Our mission is to inspire and enable young people, especially those from disadvantaged backgrounds, to realize their potential as productive, responsible and caring citizens. Located in the Allston neighborhood of Boston, the WEH operates six days a week in its 43,000 square foot facility and has a $3.6 M annual budget. Twenty eight full-time staff deliver a broad scope of programming for 1,500 members between the ages of 7 and 20 in four core areas: leadership and life skills; academic support and college preparation; sports, fitness and nutrition; and visual and performing arts.
Minimum Education Required