Details: hourly; non-exempt
11030 East Boulevard
Holden Forests & Gardens has a full time Farm and Market Coordinator position available in the Green Corps program located at the Cleveland Botanical Garden campus. This person will oversee the agricultural components of 4 urban farms and coordinate all vending aspects. The Farm and Market Coordinator will provide support to seasonal staff to ensure work is done according to schedule and farms are properly maintained. This person will also coordinate the day-to-day operations for farmers markets, CSA and wholesale orders, as well as work with seasonal staff, youth and volunteers to run on-site farm stands.
Green Corps is an urban agricultural, work-study program for high school teens ages 14 - 18 that was started in 1996 by the Cleveland Botanical Garden, now a part of Holden Forests & Gardens. With youth forming the core of the program, our focus revolves around using urban farming as a tool to teach job, leadership and life skills.
- Reports to the Director of Green Corps
- Works with Youth Coordinator/Crew Leaders/ Assistants / Apprentices
- Works with Youth
- Works with Volunteers
- Work Location
- Cleveland Botanical Garden and 4 urban learning farms on the east side of Cleveland, Ohio, USA
- Located in the heart of Cleveland’s cultural, health, and education district, 10 minutes east of downtown Cleveland.
- Holden Forests & Gardens is 12th largest public garden in the U.S. It is comprised of two campuses, Holden Arboretum and Cleveland Botanical Garden.
- Update and implement growing plans for 4 Learning Farms including seeding, transplanting and fertilization schedules, IPM, harvest procedures, site development and season extension in high tunnels
- Oversee seasonal staff to ensure all farm tasks and maintenance are completed on schedule
- Manage the day-to-day needs of vending at the farmers market, on-site farm stands, weekly CSA, wholesale, special events and sales at local stores and co-ops
- Work with seasonal staff to teach farm related curriculum lessons to youth
- Update and implement a Green Corps Food Safety Manual according to the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act
- Represent Green Corps at community and HF&G events and meetings
- Teach public programs on gardening/urban farming techniques
- Update, develop and implement staff training in regard to growing and vending practices
- Boost community engagement by working with local community gardens, schools and organizations
- Keep accurate farm and market related records
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, Natural Resources, Horticulture or a related area is preferred, and/or relevant experience or background required
- At least 3 years of experience working in a farm setting with vegetable production, urban farming experience preferred
- At least 3 years of experience vending at farmers markets/farm stands, CSA and/or wholesale, supervisory or Market Manager experience preferred
- Previous experience working with youth, high school aged youth preferred
- Strong attention to detail and administrative experience preferred.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with people of diverse backgrounds, as well as excellent communications skills in a positive, team-player environment is essential
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs. and work outdoors in urban farm conditions
- Highly organized with an outstanding ability to multi-task
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, specifically Excel
- Candidates must be at least 21-years old
- Must pass a criminal background check / drug test
- Valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record required to be covered on Holden Forests & Garden’s vehicle insurance policy
- A personal vehicle is required for this position
Benefits package included
Minimum Education Required