Details: Commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus excellent health and welfare benefits, 403b retirement plan, flexible spending account (FSA), flexible work location/schedule, and generous paid time off.
Chief Schools Officer
Rocketship Public Schools (www.rsed.org) is a network of public K through 5 charter schools serving primarily low-income students in neighborhoods where access to excellent schools is limited. Using a blend of traditional instruction, adaptive technology and targeted tutoring, Rocketship strives to meet the unique needs of each and every student. But we believe that truly transformative schools do more than education students; they empower teachers, engage parents and inspire communities. Together, we can eliminate the achievement gap in our lifetime.
Rocketship schools are located in the Bay Area, Nashville, Milwaukee, and Washington, DC but we realize the achievement gap stretches across the nation. We’re opening new schools every year to help reach the millions of students striving in underperforming schools every day.
Rocketship is seeking to hire an instructionally and school leadership focused Chief Schools Officer (CSO). Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and serving as a strategic partner, the CSO will help to refine, innovate upon, and scale the Rocketship instructional model to achieve the organization's collective mission to eliminate the achievement gap in historically under-served communities. Based in either the Bay Area or Washington DC, the CSO will be a key strategic member of the management team. The CSO will manage Rocketship's schools and achievement teams; make Rocketship a model for personalized learning and student achievement performance among charter schools and traditional districts, and help Rocketship replicate its catalytic impact in San Jose in each of its current and future regions. The CSO will also manage Rocketship's integrated special education (ISE) team, which is responsible for ensuring that Rocketship serves all students with all needs (mild to moderate to severe) in a high-quality manner in a meaningful inclusive, environment. Approximately, 10% of the overall population is considered special education students and depending on the region or school can be closer to 15-20%. Finally, the position will manage Rocketship?s personalized learning team, which is responsible for innovating upon Rocketship's school model and in the process further elevating our results, personalized approach, and opportunities for our Rocketeers to receive an education comparable to their most affluent peers.
The ideal candidate will have direct school leadership experience and will have developed and/or led an instructional model that realized high levels of student achievement in an organization similar in scope and scale to Rocketship. The CSO will have experience leading and expanding a multi-site/multi-regional enterprise and interacting effectively with senior leadership, school-level administrators, teachers and school based staff, donors, and members of a board of directors. The CSO will manage a large team (42+) consisting of ten schools professionals, nine achievement staff members, three personalized learning staff members, and over twenty integrated special education professionals. The CSO will ensure that Rocketship maintains a culture that puts Rocketeers first and provides outstanding support to its schools while also creating a culture of excellence amongst Rocketship staff that encourages and creates strong tenure. S/he will combine a capacity for systems-level and strategic thinking, deep pedagogical and instructional experience, an eye towards school leadership, careful attention to detail, and strong interpersonal skills in building relationships with critical internal and external stakeholders. The CSO will be a mission-driven leader with a tangible passion for ensuring Rocketship continues to provide life-changing opportunities for its students. The ideal CSO candidate will have experience working in a dynamic, growing organization during a transformational phase. S/he is entrepreneurial by nature and positively impacts both strategic and tactical initiatives by managing multiple projects at a time. The ideal CSO candidate identifies with, and appreciates the work of, every contributor across all levels of Rocketship's organization.
- Lead a high-performing team, including senior-level leaders of schools and achievement; model and sustain a culture of high performance and service orientation among team members
- Attract, hire, train and motivate a schools, achievement, integrated special education, and personalized learning team of highly skilled and driven individuals who execute at the highest level of excellence and consistent with the culture and mission of the organization
- Oversee training and support for school-based staff in instruction, school model, leadership and other core areas; and lead their efforts to ensure high quality instructional leadership and achievement across the network
- Implement, manage, and innovate upon an instructional model that supports the present and envisioned future scale and student achievement ambitions of the network, serving always as a model of academic responsibility, leadership and decision-making for the schools, and making Rocketship a continued leader in the field for high-quality, personalized learning
- Serve as a trusted strategic advisor and the strong instructional and school model partner to the CEO, in pursuit of elevating and leading the student achievement and long-term impact of this organization
- Serve on Rocketship's seven-person, cross functional leadership team (Senior Leadership Team) and contribute to setting the vision and strategic direction for the organization
- Work closely with members of the Rocketship Public School's Board of Directors and Rocketship Regional Boards (Milwaukee, DC, and Nashville), particularly the chairs and achievement committee members; lead and effectively communicate on current and forecasted student achievement results and subsequent interventions, long-term school leadership and instructional model refinements, and assess innovations to our personalized learning approach
- Develop, lead, and implement the academic vision for Rocketship Public Schools, setting and monitoring academic priorities and goals; balancing consistency across Rocketship Public Schools with the unique needs of each school and region
- Develop ongoing training, coaching, and professional development programs for school leaders and teachers to ensure each school is staffed with high quality instructional staff and highly effective leaders; provide leadership and in partnership with the Directors of School Leadership and school leaders in evaluating the effectiveness of programs as well as identifying and acquiring appropriate program resources to ensure that curricula are personalized, student-focused and aligned with schools' missions, core values, academic standards, and strategic goals
- Provide regular, in-person coaching and other support to Directors of School Leadership, school leaders, and instructional leaders as they conduct formal classroom observations, and provide feedback to teachers
- Serve as an ambassador of Rocketship internally and externally from school directors to funders to legislators - communicating proactively, knowledgably and passionately about Rocketship's mission and core characteristics
- Maintain a close working relationship with other members of the Network Support Team ('NeST' Rocketship's centralized office that operates in support of its schools and regions), school directors, and all school staff (teachers, school leaders, support staff, etc.) to ensure established best practices are being followed.
In terms of the performance and personal competencies required for the position, the ideal candidate should be a results oriented, determined, skilled operation leader with a record of experience that includes:
- A belief in the mission and education model of Rocketship with the ability to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, flexible and autonomous environment.
- A minimum of 5 years of broad school leadership and instructional experience serving as a school and/or instructional leader in a school network or district entity along with 5-10 additional years of successful instructional expertise in realizing high levels of student achievement in a complex, multi-site, multi-regional environment.
- Strong understanding and oversight of the achievement and school leadership functions, with the ability to strategically advise the CEO and the Board on the academic strength of the organization.
- Strong pedagogical and personalized learning skills to effectively innovate upon the school model and systems to achieve greater student achievement outcomes and opportunities, whilst constantly thinking about, innovating upon and implementing new strategies and approaches to our personalized learning approach.
- Excellent communication, influencing and negotiation skills to interact effectively with all levels of the organization, the school network, and any external stakeholders.
- Experience in an organization experiencing emerging growth and playing a key role in driving that growth.
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree and or Administrative Services Credential preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and communicate with both adults and children. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally climb ladders. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to high.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus excellent health and welfare benefits, 403b retirement plan, flexible spending account (FSA), flexible work location/schedule, and generous paid time off.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please visit our website to submit your application and resume.
Rocketship Public Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Rocketship Public Schools complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Rocketship Public Schools expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Rocketship Public Schools’ employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated. Click here for our Sexual Harassment Policy and here for our Title IX Policy. For questions, concerns, or complaints, please contact Equity/Discrimination Title IX Compliance Officer, Kenzie Kilb. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Address: 350 Twin Dolphin Drive, Suite 109, Redwood City, CA 94065. Phone: 877-806-0920 ext. 115.
Our comprehensive benefits package includes excellent health and welfare benefits, 403b retirement plan, flexible spending account (FSA), cell phone reimbursement and paid time off.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To submit your online application visit: