Director of Educational Development and Quality Center
- Job posted by University of Global Health Equity
Title: Director of Educational Development and Quality Center
Reports to: Dean of Health Sciences
Location: Butaro, Rwanda, with travel to Kigali and international travel
The Director of the Educational Development and Quality Center (EDQC) will oversee a center of excellence in teaching and learning, educational quality assurance, and education research at UGHE. The Director will serve as a key strategic thought partner and in-house pedagogy expert in the development of all academic programs at UGHE. S/he will direct the review and approval of curricula for UGHE’s academic programs, and will oversee monitoring and evaluation of teachers and teaching at UGHE. The Director will be responsible for mentoring and managing a team of professionals engaged in all aspects of curriculum and syllabus development, educational strategy, teaching and learning, student assessment, and educational innovations. In addition, the Director will be responsible for developing and carrying out health sciences educational programs including a Master’s degree in Health Sciences Education.
- Work with the Dean and others to oversee and assist with the development of academic programs at UGHE
- Serve as the key point-person for all pedagogy at UGHE, ensuring cutting-edge, innovative and evidence-based approaches are used in the development and implementation of courses
- Incubate proposals and innovative ideas for funding UGHE activities and programs
- Serve as the director of a center of excellence in pedagogical quality assurance
- Design, implement, and solicit funding for cutting edge educational research programs at UGHE
- Recruit, train, and mentor EDQC team members
- Hire and supervise the director of e-Learning as UGHE expands its e-Learning strategy
- Develop semi-annual plans, reports, and budgets to sustain EDQC activities at UGHE
- Work in collaborative teams, including faculty and staff members, to improve educational outcomes at UGHE
- Develop standards, guidelines, and policies related to teaching, learning, and student assessment at UGHE, including e-Learning, student data protections, and electronic educational records management
- Assist faculty and leadership with the development of innovative and standards-aligned curricula and academic programs
- Develop a toolkit of innovative pedagogical methods to be used by faculty at UGHE
- Lead the development and delivery of a Master’s in Health Sciences Education program and short-courses on teaching and learning for faculty at UGHE and other institutions
- Direct periodic program evaluation and curriculum review for all academic programs at UGHE
- Oversee all academic quality assurance activities at UGHE, including the design of faculty reviews and assessments to be included in evaluations for reappointment and promotion
- Play a leading role in quality assurance for internal and external accreditation of UGHE in general and each of its specific academic programs
- Master’s degree (minimum) or PhD/EdD (preferred) in an education-related field, ideally in health sciences or medical education
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in higher education leadership roles focused on teaching and learning initiatives with a strong foundation in pedagogy, instructional design, academic technology, quality assurance, and online learning
- Experience building and executing online and blended learning academic experiences for higher education and executive education audiences
- Experience developing health science and/or global health education and training in international and higher education settings
- Experience teaching, developing curricula for, and implementing programs for students and adult learners
- Record of success in instructor development and pedagogical improvement
- Experience applying research to curricular innovations and instructor development
- Knowledge of best practices in teaching and learning and emerging technologies
- Experience in the development and administration of online courses utilizing learning management systems
- A track-record of funded proposals in education research or educational programs
- Exemplary interpersonal skills; ability to effectively collaborate with culturally diverse staff across departments and countries
- Experience working in Rwanda or in other relevant contexts
- Proficiency in French or Kinyarwanda desirable
- Availability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays and to travel outside of Rwanda
- Interest in social justice strongly desirable
Benefits of Working at UGHE
UGHE faculty will be based at our campus in Butaro, Northern Rwanda. The campus is situated in a scenic area with a mild climate year-round. New, on-campus housing is available for full-time faculty. UGHE also offers a competitive salary and health care benefits. Faculty moving to UGHE from outside of Rwanda for this position will receive a relocation allotment and an annual stipend for travel to their home countries for themselves and eligible dependents.
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program: the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system. UGHE is committed to an exceptional educational experience rooted in dynamic and engaging courses prioritizing a high degree of faculty mentorship and experience-based learning.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
Partners In Health, and its subsidiaries including the University of Global Health Equity, is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Level of Language Proficiency
Kinyarwanda and French (desired)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should provide: (1) a curriculum vitae, (2) a cover letter, (3) a personal statement addressing your vision for educational and quality assurance innovation at UGHE, and (4) names and contact information of three professional references (at least one from a supervisor) who can attest to leadership, educational quality assurance and/or innovation, and management experience, and (5) a copy of higher education diplomas. Please upload your cover letter, personal statement, and credentials as a single PDF file under "Additional Files" on the application page.