Details: The hiring range for this position is $35K-$42K. Salary is commensurate with experience.
The American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina (ACLU-NC) seeks applicants for a full-time Operations Associate. This position has a strong focus on operations, accounts payable and a variety of general office support duties. This position requires the ability to maintain confidentiality, exercise sound independent judgment, attend closely to details, and take initiative. The Operations Associate will report directly to the Director of Operations.
The ACLU-NC, the state-wide affiliate of the national ACLU, is a nonpartisan public interest organization dedicated to the defense and expansion of civil liberties and civil rights for all North Carolinians. Our offices are located in Raleigh, NC. We maintain a fast-paced, but low key and friendly work environment. We are a growing organization, currently with 18 full-time staff members. To learn more about the ACLU-NC staff and our work, please visit http://www.acluofnorthcarolina.org/
Duties & Opportunities
Facilitate the smooth functioning of the office and help to maintain a positive, respectful, welcoming and professional work environment for employees and volunteers by providing high-level support to the Director of Operations. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
Facilities and Equipment Maintenance:
- Oversee facilities maintenance, including utilities, office equipment, cleaning and repair services. Serve as a liaison with vendors and track vendor contracts;
- Develop proficiency in the use and maintenance of office systems and machinery. Assist staff and volunteers in their use of office equipment;
- Assist the Director of Operations in developing operational policies, procedures and best-practices for the office;
- Manage file storage and archiving procedures and ensure compliance with records retention and confidentiality guidelines;
- Provide general administrative support and other responsibilities as assigned.
Accounts Payable & Budget Support:
- Manage accounts payable, ensuring that vendors are paid promptly, accurately, and in accordance with internal financial guidelines;
- Enter data and perform routine daily, weekly, and monthly accounting functions utilizing Quickbooks accounting software;
- Assist the Director of Operations in preparing monthly financial statements and other reports, gathering and organizing financial records and other information requested during annual financial audit, and monitoring expenditures (including grant expenses) accordance with the budget and office policies;
- Support the Board Finance Committee by arranging and facilitating meetings, taking and preparing minutes, keeping records, and other tasks as needed.
- Coordinate the on-boarding and off-boarding process for all employees, interns and volunteer staff;
- Coordinate enrollment and record keeping for all employee benefits (e.g., medical, dental, vision, life, 401(k) retirement, STD and LTD);
- Implement daily personnel matters including time and paid-time-off tracking and reporting; maintain personnel files.
- Assist the Director of Operations with planning and coordinating IT maintenance and improvement projects.
- Work with the Director of Operations to develop best practices for all IT related issues.
- Assist with the research, acquisition, implementation and maintenance of software programs, services, or systems that better streamline and increase efficiency for the organization.
- At least 3 years of bookkeeping and operational support experience in a professional environment; preferably with experience in a 501(c)(3) and/or 501(c)(4) organization;
- General knowledge of accounting principles and procedures;
- Proficiency with Quickbooks and office computing programs, including word processing, spreadsheets; filing and other administrative skills;
- Personal commitment to advancing the ACLU's values, mission, goals and programs;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain absolute confidentiality, exercise sound independent judgment, and pay close attention to detail; exhibit high levels of integrity, discretion, and diplomacy;
- Ability to communicate and work effectively and respectfully with staff, Board members, volunteers, and the general public. Skilled in communicating both orally and in writing;
- A self-starter and a finisher with the ability to meet deadlines. Demonstrated ability to handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision;
- Cross-cultural competency with a commitment to diversity; ability to work in an environment that respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstances;
- Emotionally mature and self-confident, composed under pressure, with a highly developed sense of humor assuring perspective and balance;
- Willingness to work some nights and weekends, as required (with prior notice).
Excellent medical and dental insurance; disability insurance; 401(k) retirement plan with organizational match; and generous time off policies.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, email a letter of application and resume to OperationsAssociate@acluofnc.org and include your last name in the subject line of the email. In your letter, please indicate where you learned of the posting.
Applicants will be reviewed beginning the week of September 10, 2018, and will be accepted until the position is filled.
ACLU-NC is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU-NC encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.