Title: Recreation Assistant/Therapeutic Recreation Assistant
Supervisor: Program Director
FLSA: Full-time, Non-Exempt
Location: Rogerson House, Jamaica Plain
About Rogerson Communities: With over 150 years of experience, Rogerson Communities has grown to provide a network of innovative, accessible, affordable housing and services for elders, persons with disabilities, and the working poor in the Greater Boston area. This is an opportunity to join a team that pioneered Adult Day Health programs that support elderly and low-income men and women by enhancing dignity, self-reliance and vitality. Rogerson Communities is committed to providing the people it serves the highest quality of care and is looking for individuals who share this vision.
Position Summary: The primary responsibilities of this position are the implementation of scheduled therapeutic recreation activities within and outside the facility, to assist in providing a varied program that meets the physical, emotional and social needs of the Alzheimer’s resident and contributes to their overall quality of life.
Music talents preferred.
- Recreation or event leadership experience in an elder or Alzheimer care community.
- Experience in leading group recreation programs for elders with memory loss.
- Sensitivity to issues of aging and needs of the dementia resident and diverse populations.
- Ability to be flexible with work assignments and schedule changes.
- Ability to follow written and spoken directions in English.
- Ability to work as a team player, promoting good relations with supervisors, co-workers, families and residents/participants.
- Availability to work evenings and every other weekend shifts, as well as some holidays as scheduled by supervisor.
- Outgoing, warm and caring personality.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement and lead activities of therapeutic recreation according to monthly schedule and needs of the Alzheimer’s and Dementia residents.
- Understand the approach and structure of recreation for Alzheimer groups.
- Assist in orienting new participants and residents to program structure.
- Maintain an open line of communication to recreation director and all staff members.
- Observe and report any change in health or mental status of residents to Program Director or nurses.
- Encourage residents but not force participation in therapeutic recreation groups.
- Prepare in advance for all groups and begin groups at designated time.
- Maintain safety awareness with use and storage of activity supplies.
- Follow through on goals and objectives as established by the team.
- Maintain flexible structure to groups and have alternative plan if planned activity is not engaging resident/participant interests.
- Monitor safety and well-being of residents/participants while in groups and seek assistance when necessary to assess safety and well-being.
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested from time to time by supervisor or other managers.
Standing: 34% to 66% of the time
Walking: 34%to 66% of the time
Balancing: 34% to 66% of the time
Stooping: 34% to 66% of the time
Kneeling: 34% to 66% of the time
Crouching: 34% to 66% of the time
Reaching/working overhead: 34% to 66% of the time
Climbing: 34% to 66% of the time
Pushing: 34% to 66% of the time 10-20 pounds
Pulling: 34% to 66% of the time 10-20 pounds
Lifting/carrying: 34% to 66% of the time 10-20 pounds
Interested applicants can send resume, cover letter and salary requirements by one of the following options:
E-mail: careers rogerson.org (Please indicate job title in subject of e-mail)
Fax: 617-469-5861 c/o HR Department
Mail: HR Department- Rogerson Communities
1 Florence Street Boston, MA 02131
Rogerson Communities provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Rogerson Communities offers a comfortable working environment along with competitive benefits including health, dental, vision, retirement, paid time off and other benefits.
Minimum Education Required