Vashon Island Growers Association (VIGA) promotes growing, farming, and food production on Vashon Maury Island, while working to build a local agricultural economy that is equitable, accessible, and sustainable. VIGA serves Vashon’s 10,000 residents through the following programs:
- The Farmer Market supplies the community with the fresh island produce, high quality island made crafts, prepared and processed food, and supports the success of more than 80 island farm and craft businesses.
- The Food Access Partnership works to increase access to community members with limited financial resources to locally grown food.
- Get Growing provides educational videos and demos for the backyard gardener to learn more about growing food.
- CRAFT provides educational opportunities for our island’s seasonal interns to visit island farms, learn new agricultural practices, and connect with other interns and farmers.
- The Preservation Program oversees our community larder, ensuring access to preserved local produce all year long.
VIGA is seeking an experienced fund development professional to lead fundraising efforts and provide programmatic oversight. The Director of Development will work closely with the Board to strategically plan and execute the establishment of donor pipelines, sponsorships, grants. Responsibilities include:
- Adapt, build, and administer structures to supercharge the fundraising efforts of the organization
- Develop revenue sources to ensure all facets of the mission are adequately funded.
- Identify, write, and fulfill grants.
- Build and manage a diverse donor pipeline from prospect identification through cultivation, solicitation, and donor stewardship.
- Develop effective fundraising communications over multiple platforms.
- Develop a multi year strategy for fundraising to ensure the effective growth and sustainability of all programs.
- Oversee the effective implementation of VIGA’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Collaborate with program leads to understand budgetary and resource needs.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- A history of successfully generating new revenue streams and improving financial results.
- Previous experience with financial management, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Active fundraising experience. Excellent donor relations skills and understanding of the funding community.
- Demonstrates strong emotional intelligence: listens with empathy, acknowledges mistakes, repairs relationships after conflict, holds self accountable, ability to give and receive feedback in service of growth in both task and relationship.
- Familiarity with farming, farmers markets, etc.