304 South Broadway
Los Angeles, CA 90013
Job Description: Communications Manager
What We Do: The Berggruen Institute’s mission is to develop ideas and shape political, economic and social institutions for the 21st century. Providing critical analysis using an outwardly expansive and purposeful network, the Berggruen Institute brings together some of the best minds and most authoritative voices from across cultural and political boundaries to examine the changes sweeping across the world and to ensure humanity isn’t being lost in the mix. To date, projects inaugurated at the Berggruen Institute have helped develop a youth jobs plan for Europe, fostered a more open and constructive dialogue between Chinese leadership and the West, and strengthened the ballot initiative process in California.
The Berggruen Institute is in search for an in-house Communications Manager that is responsible for content creation (graphics and copy) for the Institute. The right candidate will work in a team environment and manage, curate, write, edit, and post a variety of written and visual imagery to a high-profile website and other branded outlets.
The ideal candidate will possess excellent written and visual communication skills and have a love for creating simple sentences that clearly convey mission-oriented information. The individual should also have an eye for layout and ability to recognize and use imagery with high visual impact. The right candidate will also have the technical skills to work with content management systems and other relevant web applications used for web site production.
- Work with PR and Communications, as well as Programs team, to develop annual content production calendar based on Institute’s needs.
- Provide graphic design guidance and maintain creative standards for Berggruen Institute branding and its communications infrastructure.
- Editing and reviewing a wide variety of content types, including social content, video, articles and long-form content.
- Work with PR & Communications, as well as Programs Teams, to ensure highest quality in graphic standards for print, online and branded items. Design graphics for Institute’s print and digital outlets: website, social, and e-newsletter.
- Basic copy-editing for digital and print communications as assigned, including brochures, invitations, event flyers, social media posts, website blurbs and headlines, newsletters, etc.
- Assist with production of digital newsletter - layout, visual and audio elements.
- Track Web & Newsletter analytics.
- Basic HTML to modify existing newsletter content so that it is readable across all web browsers (not mandatory but preferred).
- Manage projects/priorities while working within scheduling requirements and respond to changes in a fast-paced environment.
- Ensure digital content is up-to-date (daily).
- Manage design assets (images, photography, graphics, sound files, video uploads).
Qualifications & Education
- A Bachelor’s degree in communications, graphic design, journalism, Web publishing, or related field.
- 3-5 years of experience in producing graphics for an organization or corporate entity.
- 3-5 years web content management and editing, with a proficiency in CMS.
- Basic understanding of HTML and the principles of responsive Web design.
- Excellent understanding of design principles and an eye for creating engaging graphics using HTML and Photoshop.
- Thorough knowledge of the fundamentals of writing, grammar, syntax, editorial style, and punctuation, and able to write in a clear and lively style.
- Ability to work within timelines under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Ability to think strategically and participate effectively as a member of the communications team.
- Proficient photography and video-recording skills a plus.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls.
Berggruen Institute is a proud equal opportunities workplace. We firmly believe employing a diverse workforce is important regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, political preference, age, marital statutes, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills.
The Berggruen Institute is located in the historic Bradbury building in downtown Los Angeles, right across the street from Grand Central Market. There is plenty of free gourmet coffee. Health benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, 401k, vacation, and more.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls please.