Details: Hourly wage of $13.25, with 35-40 hours per week and occasional overtime.
620 Southwest 5th Avenue
Cultural Exchange Ambassador
ANDEO is a high energy, highly collaborative Portland-based non-profit international student exchange organization. Our mission is to promote cross-cultural exchange and friendship through homestays and educational programs.
We are looking for a Cultural Exchange Ambassador who is enthusiastic about cultural exchange, enjoys public speaking, knows how to organize time, and would enjoy building relationships with teachers and students.
The primary goal of the Cultural Exchange Ambassador is to generate enthusiasm for intercultural experiences by visiting classrooms around Oregon and Washington and delivering fun, interactive presentations about teen life in another country as part of our Cultural Speaker Series.
Key components of the job include developing an engaging PowerPoint presentation, working with ANDEO staff to schedule presentations with teachers, promoting intercultural exchange experiences in the community, at schools and at international night events, gathering contact information for interested students and entering it in our database, maintaining accurate records, keeping library of printed materials up to date, following up and getting to know families and students to help them choose the right programs, and assisting ANDEO staff with student transportation, student and family screening, and other office-related duties, as needed.
This position is a temporary, full-time job that starts in October 2018 and ends in May 2019. Working hours will include some early morning hours in order to arrive at schools when scheduled, and also some evening hours for follow up phone calls or travel. The job will also include some overnight trips within Washington and Oregon. Transportation to outside locations may include travel by your own car, train, airplane or other means as assigned by the Program Manager. Mileage is reimbursed at .35 per mile.
Specific Job Requirements:
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to present fluently in Spanish or French
- Ability to engage middle and high school age students
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office, Gmail, online database)
- Ability to work very flexible hours
- Ability to read, write and understand English is required
- Physical ability to hear, to see, to speak, and to use a computer for many hours at a time.
- Mental ability to conduct on-going interpersonal interactions, analyze and solve problems is essential
- Ability to write clearly, concisely and follow Andeo’s style guide
- Must possess a valid driver's license, excellent driving record, and own a reliable car
- Own a reliable laptop
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Extensive experience living in a Spanish-speaking or French-speaking country
- Proficiency in either Spanish or French as well as English, including the ability to present confidently in both languages.
- Experience hosting or being in a homestay (both preferred)
- Skilled at speaking in front of large groups
- Working conditions include irregular hours, travel to schools for presentations, speaking to classes of various sizes, and office work using the phone and computer
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Cultural Exchange Ambassador" in the email subject line.
Travel per diem and mileage reimbursement, health insurance after 90 days.
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficient in Spanish or French
Minimum Education Required