1407 Fleet Street
The Institute for Integrative Health (TIIH) is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization that provides an environment for innovative thinking on health and healthcare, fosters global collaborations, and facilitates the testing and implementation of novel solutions. The Director of Communications must be a motivated, strategically-minded leader who can champion the Institute’s brand and orchestrate a comprehensive marketing communications program to support the Institute’s mission and diverse programs.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, this full-time position is responsible for overseeing the creation and implementation of marketing communications strategies encompassing message development, production of digital and print collateral, social media, email marketing, advertising, grassroots outreach, public relations, and other communications disciplines as appropriate. Strong writing skills are essential.
- Develop and lead the execution of strategic marketing communications plans to support fundraising, registration for classes and events, promotion of community and academic programs, and overall awareness of the Institute for Integrative Health;
- Establish success measures and evaluation methods for marketing communications efforts, gauge progress, and produce reports;
- Maintain close, ongoing contact with the Institute’s directors to learn about developments and identify communications opportunities and needs;
- Be the chief advocate for the Institute’s brand identity and oversee the internal and external use of brand assets;
- Provide direction to staff on content development, social media management, email marketing, advertising, public relations, and other marketing communications disciplines. Execute day-to-day activities in these areas as needed;
- Serve as creative director and executive editor, overseeing the development and production of all communications content and materials and providing quality control for all products. These include but are not limited to the Institute’s website and blog, social media, flyers, brochures, newsletters, emails, reports, fund solicitations, and videos. Write and edit content and manage graphic designers and print production vendors;
- Oversee and manage the production of the Institute’s Annual Report (AR). This includes developing AR concept ideas, edit and write content, select pictures, etc. Work with graphic design contractor to produce AR;
- Select communications consultants and vendors with input from the chief operating officer;
- Negotiate agreements, approve invoices, and maintain vendor and consultant relationships;
- Prepare talking points, speeches, and presentations for Institute executives;
- Serve as the lead point person for interactions with the media;
- Mentor and develop members of the communications staff using a supportive approach;
- Promote a culture of high performance, continuous improvement, and commitment to quality
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or a related field
- At least five years of relevant experience in a managerial role
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles of effective visual design
- Experience with fundraising communications preferred
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite required
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite preferred
- Proficiency with Google analytics preferred
- Proficiency with HTML preferred
- Capable leader, manager, and coach for staff
- Productive, supportive collaborator
Desirable skills and knowledge
Knowledge of or experience in the field of integrative health and/or complementary and alternative medicine is highly desirable.
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks, such as using a keyboard on computer equipment.
- Ability to lift and carry certain items weighing up to and including 25 lbs.
- Reliable transportation required to transport Institute marketing materials at conferences, fairs, etc.
- Ability to work nights and weekends.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to C. Scott at careers[at]tiih.org. No phone calls, please. For more information regarding our programs and activities, please explore our website.