Details: Commensurate with experience
About the Position
GLSEN seeks an experienced operations generalist who is passionate about orchestrating all the elements of infrastructure and culture that support a high-achieving staff. As Director of Operations, you will be responsible for the day-to-day office functions including the physical office environment and IT systems. You will manage HR for the GLSEN staff with confidentiality, professionalism, sound judgment, and an approach that is both analytical and compassionate. As part of the management team, you will help plan, operationalize and monitor progress towards key organizational goals and objectives that enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of the GLSEN workforce. You have a demonstrated commitment to applying an intersectional lens to your work and striving for an organizational culture characterized by equity, justice, and appreciation for one another. The Director of Operations reports to the Chief Operating Officer and supervises the Operations Manager.
GLSEN strives to assure that each member of every school community is valued and respected regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression. We believe that such an atmosphere engenders a positive sense of self, which is the basis of educational achievement and personal growth. Since homophobia and heterosexism undermine a healthy school climate, we work to educate teachers, students and the public at large about the damaging effects these forces have on youth and adults alike.
- In partnership with a professional employment organization (PEO) and the COO manage the human resources function of the organization.
- Manage GLSEN’s recruitment and hiring processes, including working with hiring managers to ensure effective screening of candidates
- Ensure smooth onboarding of new staff to ensure that new hires are welcomed, oriented, and set up for success
- Oversee an annual performance goal setting and evaluation system.
- Work with managers to address performance issues as they arise.
- Maintain the organization’s compliance with all applicable labor laws.
- Strategically manage the professional development program and budget for all-staff events as well as individual professional development.
- Coordinate monthly staff meetings, semi-annual all-staff gatherings, and weekly leadership team meetings, including planning all-staff gatherings and maintaining agendas for the Directors team meetings and the monthly All Staff meeting.
- In conjunction with the COO, coordinate the staff racial equity working groups to ensure a continual focus on building and maintaining a racially equitable and just organizational culture
- Managing an outsourced IT provider firm, oversee the information technology systems for the organization.
- Ensure all systems are working in a secure environment and that technology is leveraged across all business functions to its full potential.
- Develop and execute short- and long-term technology plans.
- Ensure safe, collaborative and efficient workspaces for GLSEN staff in its NYC headquarters and DC Policy Office
- Support Operations Manager in their role as chief liaison to the building and in vendor management for all office services and supplies
- Serve as chief safety officer.
- Support the COO in building and managing the $1.2 million Operations Department budget.
- Support the Controller and Sr. Accounting Manager in the annual audit process
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, HR, or comparable area of study. MBA, MPA, MSOD or equivalent degree preferred.
- 5+ years relevant work experience or a comparable level of academic and work experience.
- Extensive experience in the field of human resource management and/or nonprofit operations, including direct supervision of staff.
- Demonstrated experience with, and commitment to, leveraging your work in operations to promote racial equity and social justice in the workplace.
- Advanced proficiency with MS Office 365 Suite, proficient with basic office technology in a Windows environment.
- Able to manage projects and time with a high level of organization, attention to detail, and follow-through.
- Strong vendor management skills.
- Ability to work with a high level of professionalism and confidentiality when navigating challenging HR situations.
- Knowledge of nonprofit accounting, GAAP and reporting requirements.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Understanding of LGBTQ issues in education.
To Apply: Please submit your resume and a letter of interest at glsen.org/jobs.
Please do not email, fax, or mail applications.
GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, people of diverse gender identities, people with disabilities, women, and non-LGBT people to apply.
GLSEN offers a generous benefits package, including: five weeks paid time off for new employees in addition to 10 paid holidays per year; 100% employer-paid medical and dental insurance for staff and optional benefits for family members (including domestic partners); life insurance; and a 401k plan with increasing employer contributions based on staff tenure.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please submit your resume and letter of interest at: http://www.glsen.org/apply-to-work-at-glsen.
GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, women, people of diverse gender identities, and people with disabilities to apply.