Position Summary: The Development Manager is responsible for supporting all fundraising functions of the Development team including funder prospecting, proposal writing, stewardship and outcomes management. This position ensures that annual funder base growth goals are met appropriately, as set by the Development Director. The Development Manager will assist the Development Director with building and maintaining relationships within the funding community. The ideal candidate will be a development generalist, with solid donor development, writing and planning skills and an ability to juggle competing demands with professionalism.
Tasks and Responsibilities: This statement of duties is for purpose of identifying this position but it is not limited to:
- Develop and implement strategies for solicitation that will grow annual revenue from individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- Manage all appeal campaigns
- Manage and monitor online giving initiatives
- Oversee foundation and government grants
- Liaise with Board of Directors for individual fundraising initiatives
- Work collaboratively with other program areas to advance fundraising goals
- Meet with funders as determined by the Development Director
- In collaboration with the Development Director manage department’s workflow including overseeing departmental calendar that integrates direct mail, online giving, foundation proposals, awareness campaigns, newsletters and events
- Assist the Development Director in evaluating the organization strategic master plan and develop a 5-year fundraising strategy
- Analyze new business opportunities for donor expansion.
- Reconcile records with fiscal department
- Monitor progress to goals on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis
- Manage new funder prospecting, including: research, analysis of fit, and proposal/grant writing;
- Oversee and monitor the processing and acknowledging of all philanthropic contributions to GEMS
- Supervise management of donor records on Salesforce and gift recognition
- Oversees and monitor all events management
- Oversees and monitor the coordination of third party fundraising
- Oversees and monitor the management of GEMS donors database
- Oversees and monitor all grants prospecting, cultivation, writing and reporting functions.
- Track progress of funder relationships and supervise maintenance of an outcomes database
- Support and coordinate fundraising volunteers
- Lead and manage fundraising activities of auxiliary fundraising group, e.g. Young Professionals, and steward relationships with committee members.
- Work in collaboration with the Development Director to carry out selection of staff as necessary
- In collaboration with Development Director, coach and develop staff, including holding performance reviews
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- 4–5 years’ experience working on a fundraising team, supporting overall fundraising goals of department
- Working of knowledge of Salesforce and experience with wealth screening and grants prospecting tools required
- Commitment to the vision and mission of Girls Educational and Mentoring Services
- High energy, self-managing, entrepreneurial personality
- Demonstrated record of conceiving and implementing fundraising strategies to successfully raise funds from various constituencies
- knowledge of fundraising concepts, proposal writing, and donor software and reporting;
- Ability to create systems, track progress to goals, and communicate this information regularly
- experience interacting with high level contacts, including board members, government representatives, foundation officials, corporate representatives and major donors
- Adept at managing multiple projects and complex situations.
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Ability to gather and synthesize data
- Adapts strategy to changing conditions and communicates changes effectively.
- Speaks clearly and effectively in positive or negative situations.
- Writes clearly and informatively, varies writing style to meet specific needs.
Attention to Detail
Attitude Toward Others
Excellent written and verbal communication
Project/Task and Goals Focus
Respect for Policies
Culturally competent and sensitive
GEMS Core Values:
Social justice oriented