Vital Strategies, headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization. Our programs strengthen public health systems and address the world’s leading causes of illness, injury and death. We currently work in 73 countries, supporting data-driven decision making in government, advancing evidence-based public health policies and mounting strategic communication campaigns. Vital Strategies’ priorities are driven by the greatest potential to improve and save lives. They include non-communicable disease prevention, cardiovascular health promotion, tobacco control, road safety, obesity prevention, epidemic prevention, overdose prevention, environmental health, vital statistics systems building and multidrug-resistant tuberculosis treatment research. Our programs are primarily concentrated in low- and middle-income countries in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific; the Overdose Prevention Program is our first initiative in the U.S. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
Vital Strategies offers highly competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits. Vital welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment.
Vital Strategies is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Senior Manager - Partnership for Healthy Cities.
The Senior Manager – Partnership for Healthy Cities will be part of an initiative that is aimed at empowering city governments around the world to improve noncommunicable disease (NCD) and injury prevention through high-impact policy interventions. The Senior Manager will be responsible for project managing select cities around the world, including managing key stakeholder relationships, facilitating and coordinating technical assistance, providing project management direction, maintaining regular communications, monitoring, and reporting on progress. This role is ideal for established managers who aspire to develop new skills and gain experience leading larger and more complex projects. This position will be based in the New York office, and candidates must live within the tri-state area by the beginning of 2022, or be based in Europe.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with city government focal points to realize the successful implementation of the cities’ chosen intervention;
- Develop, jointly with city focal points, project goals, budgets, timelines, and milestones;
- Monitor cities’ progress toward milestones and objectives, and compile data and narrative accounts of accomplishments;
- Coordinate and partner and directly provide technical assistance provided by Vital Strategies;
- Assist with contract creation and monitoring for local subgrantees and vendors;
- Supervise city-based consultants, as necessary;
- Facilitate stakeholder meetings and deliver presentations, as needed;
- Conceptualize, lead and manage regional workshops and other network activities;
- Help gather information for potential publicity opportunities;
- Process information and assistance requests from program management and the donor;
- Identify, surface, and troubleshoot bottlenecks and delays;
- Partner with technical staff to provide technical assistance as needed;
- Assist with other Vital Strategies duties as specified by the Director and Deputy Director;
- Ad hoc requests as needed.
Education and Degree -
- Master’s or in public health, public policy, public administration, or a relevant field of study or equivalent experience/education
Skills and Abilities -
- Comprehensive project management skills, with the ability to make sound, informed judgements;
- Understanding of public health and related policy interventions including but not limited to: injury prevention and non-communicable diseases;
- Strong understanding of government structures and policymaking in relevant geographies;
- Outstanding written and spoken communication skills in English;
- Knowledge of a second language preferred;
- Strong communication skills, with demonstrated ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with internal and external partners;
- Ability to produce deliverables unaided and with minimal supervision;
- Willingness to travel in order to assist with on-site engagement in participating cities;
- Willingness and ability to work across different time zones.
- Minimum of 8 years of progressive professional experience in public policy, urban health or public health;
- Experience leading complex programs and/or projects in international public health;
- Detail-orientated self-starter with a positive attitude and willingness to learn;
- 3 to 5 years of experience leading full project management life cycle including budget management.
- Prior experience managing public/private partnerships in State or City Government;
- Experienced in working collaboratively and remotely with internal and external team members to meet expectations and deliver the necessary assistance in a timely manner;
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge in Microsoft Office, including use of formulas;
- Possess a genuine interest in the mission and vision of Vital Strategies;
- Demonstrated representational experience in professional and global settings.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- If located within NYC, this individual may need to occasionally move between partner and/or government offices within the city, and will be required to carry a laptop and files. In addition, up to 30% of travel may be required to attend meetings internationally.
- Successful candidates must possess required work authorizations for U.S. employment by the start of role.
- The Senior Manager will be a full-time employee for Vital Strategies, based remotely to start.
- Attendance in the New York City office will be required in varying frequencies, beginning in January 2022.
- The Senior Manager will report to the Deputy Director at Vital Strategies.
- The Senior Manager will be expected to work the full working week (40 hours) - flexibility will be shown, with hours adjusted based on traveling and to accommodate time zones.
- The Senior Manager will be provided with necessary equipment for the duration of the project.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume via the Vital Strategies Career page on our website. The closing date for applications is June 25, 2021.
Application link: https://phg.tbe.taleo.net/phg01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=VITASTRA&cws=37&rid=351