Mentoring Program Assistant -Framingham Corporate Programs
- Job posted by Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Mass/Metrowest, Inc
Details: School Year only.
Assist lead Program Coordinator / Interview & Match Support Specialist for assigned site based mentoring program. Help to support, coordinate, and supervise activities involving youth with volunteer mentors. Work within our site based mentoring programs in Worcester area, in conjunction with local college and corporate partners.
- Track overall attendance for volunteers and children.
- Oversee bus transportation of youth from school to the mentoring site.
- Communicate with volunteers and children who don’t show up for program times.
- Introduce new matches / give new match info sheets.
- Supervise children and volunteers during match meeting times (assigned weekdays, 1:30-4:30 pm). Specific need for Tuesday & Thursday afternoons.
- Conduct match support interviews according to due dates (as assigned)
- Administer surveys, announcements, notes home, etc.
- Let BBBS supervisor know of any issues that come up during match support / advise of any important notes to add to match list.
- Communicate with volunteers about schedule changes. Relay information to BBBS staff, student site coordinators, and parents
- Meet weekly with BBBS staff person - report attendance and any site issues
- Keep updated records of match meeting times, attendance, and contact information.
- Chaperone occasional field trips (2-3 per school year).
- Maintain accurate and up to date documentation for each match according to BBBSA and agency standards. Follow confidentially requirements with integrity.
- Assess and refer families for alternative or additional services as needed.
- Identify child safety issues for volunteers, children and their families.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Action oriented and goal driven.
- Works well independently and as part of a team.
- Strong decision making abilities.
- Willingness to work in many different environments.
- Focus on meeting the expectations and needs of fellow staff, volunteers, children, parents and agency partners. Speak and act with them in mind; establish and maintain effective relationship with clients gaining their trust and respect; add value to the experience of volunteers and children in their match relationship; build parental support for the match; deal effectively with diversity; demonstrate high degree of flexibility and adaptability.
- Market programs through enthusiastic, skillful, knowledgeable explanation about programs and program options.
- Monitor progress and results frequently; meet and exceed goals.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills on a continuous basis. Relate well with all kinds of people. Make effort to build appropriate rapport with others, acting with sensitivity, patience and understanding of others feelings and needs. Use diplomacy and tact. Diffuse difficult situations comfortably without showing frustration. Listen to fully understand others, patiently hearing them out and ensuring they feel they have been listened to.
- Make accurate, effective assessments of people by asking good questions, looking beyond the obvious, observation and listening. Determine strengths and limitations of volunteers and make good match decisions.
- Bachelors Degree in social services, human resources or related field strongly preferred but not required.
- Experience working with children and adults; assessment, intake or interview experience preferred. Ability to relate well with multi-cultural environments.
- Demonstrated skills in each of the Key Competencies described above.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. High level interviewing skills. Ability to collect meaningful information and draw solid conclusions. Ability to maintain confidential in daily operations.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Must have car, valid driver’s license, and meet state required automobile insurance minimums.
Position is 10 hours per week . Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:30-4:30 and an additional 4 hours per week remotely, related to the program.
School year position only.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Ability to write/speak Spanish or Vietnamese preferred.
Minimum Education Required