Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS' relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
The HR Business Partner (HRBP) provides expert HR support and acts as a single point of contact for employees and managers of assigned business unit. The position focuses on building relationships and partnering with employees and management to meet agency objectives and serve the mission. The HRBP acts as a consultant to management on human resource-related issues. The role assesses and anticipates HR-related needs by identifying gaps, diagnosing root causes and proposing means to develop integrated solutions. The position works closely with the HR department and business management.
- Counsel, make recommendations, and support all facets of employee relations to ensure effective staff management to include disciplinary action, conflict resolution, performance issues, dismissals, position eliminations, and for-cause dismissals.
- Investigate significant employee relations' cases; drafts responses to EEOC and other third-party charges.
- Review and edit disciplinary and corrective action letters as well as performance improvement plans, offering assistance and guidance to management
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance. Partner with legal department as needed/required.
- Design and implement solutions that that get to the root cause of any issue, no matter how complex.
- Providing general Organizational Development support to managers, proactively highlighting areas or issues that would seem strange or problematic to an outside observer (e.g. a supervisor with 12 direct reports)
Policy Interpretation and Enforcement
- Provide HR policy guidance and interpretation
- Work collaboratively with management to ensure consistent application of policy, practices and initiatives to provide HR solutions that positively impact the agency.
- Monitor and update relevant employee relations' policies and employment practices, ensuring compliance with all federal and state regulations and laws.
- Working with HR Operations to assess questions around consulting vs. employment issues
- Reviewing, tracking, and approving Alternative Work Arrangements requests.
- Providing "Day One" Orientations to all new US and International staff
- Providing "Day Five" Orientations to all new US and International Staff
- Performing I-9 verifications for new US employees
- Working with other parts of HR (Recruiting, Employee Engagement) and other Divisions (i.e. IT) to ensure efficient and smooth onboarding logistics.
- Managing employee terminations and leading the process of employee involuntary terminations by working closely with managers to determine appropriate mechanisms and communication and ensuring terminations follow CRS policy as well as external legal regulations (e.g. notification periods, etc.)
- Scheduling and conducting exit interviews, capturing relevant information and insight
- Respond to unemployment insurance requests and represent agency at hearings.
- Drafting severance agreements in line with CRS protocols, delivering them to affected employees, and following up to ensure they are executed
- Coordinating with Global Knowledge Information Management and Finance to communicate and collect back outstanding financial advances and/or equipment from departing employee
- Classifying separations into relevant categories (e.g. "regrettable loss") and determining and recording whether an employee can be re-hired or not
- Manage repatriation process for international staff, out-processing for domestic staff and payroll termination transactions.
Ethics and Investigations
- Monitoring EthicsPoint and organizing appropriate action / response in a timely manner
- Proactively leading investigations related, allegations of harassment, discrimination, and /or hostile work environment, and child and vulnerable adult protection incidents reported though the whistleblower site coordinating closely with Legal as appropriate
Data and Transactions
- Communicating employee lifecycle events (change in status, promotion, lateral move, termination, etc.) in a timely manner to the people or systems that need to be informed
- Providing timely metrics, and related analysis, to guide decision making, propose solutions and help business managers better understand HR trends, issues, and gaps
Employee Engagement and Retention
- Monitor staff morale and retention through stay and exit interviews noting trends and developments
- Liaising with Talent Development to implement action plans following the Staff Survey
- Works closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention.
- Be a role model of CRS values championing a culture of engagement, communication and collaboration to promote the employee experience.
Strategic HR Consulting
- Serve as a strategic partner to business leaders, establishing HR business objectives that align with the overall agency plans and strategic objectives.
- Helping managers and staff understand and navigate initiatives coming out of HR; partnering with HR managers of Recruiting, Compensation, Benefits, Learning, and Talent to help ensure that programs are well-timed, well-packaged, and well-understood.
- Bring HR insights to business issues to help shape solutions
- Build effective relationships across the agency
- Be a partner and trusted adviser to Senior Leadership teams
- Conducts and participates in regular meeting with respective business units
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS' processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
NOTE: All interested applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S. at the time of application.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
EOE/M/F/D/V - CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Bachelor's degree with a concentration in HR Management or Development. Master's degree and/or PHR or SPHR strongly preferred.
- Five to seven years' experience in HR, with at least two as an HR Business Partner
- Legal and regulatory knowledge of employee relations and employment law. Proven experience and demonstrated understanding of employment and human resources related laws, regulations, policies, principles, concepts and practices, including but not limited to Title VII, ADA and FMLA.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of human resources management.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Strong decision-making, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Ability to assess multi-faceted issues, anticipate potential problems, and apply high level of skill and judgment around complex and ambiguous issues.
- Effective written/verbal communication skills, active-listening, counseling, interviewing, investigating and report writing.
- Well-developed people skills, high level of emotional intelligence; excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to develop strong trusting relationships with employees at all levels.
- Ability to maintain high levels of integrity and confidentiality regarding agency and employee matters.
- Able to work independently and collaboratively at both an operational and strategic level
- The ability to understand business goals and recommend new approaches, policies and procedures to effect continual improvements in business objectives, productivity and development of HR within the company
- Proficient use of MS Office. HRIS experience or other database experience a plus.
- French, Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic a plus.
- Understanding of U.S. Government contracting and pertinent regulations.
- Exposure to global human resources management desired.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Minimum Education Required