252 W. 37th Street
KIDS IN NEED OF DEFENSE
NEW YORK, NY
Background: Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is an innovative partnership among the Microsoft Corporation, Angelina Jolie and other interested philanthropists, law firms and corporate supporters. As the leading national organization that works to ensure that no refugee or immigrant child faces immigration court alone, KIND is dedicated to providing pro bono representation as well as positive systemic change in both law and policy to improve the protection of unaccompanied immigrant and refugee children. KIND also engages in programming in Central America and Mexico to promote the best interests and protection of migrant children throughout the region. Launched in fall 2008, KIND is headquartered in Washington, DC and has 10 field offices across the United States.
Responsibilities: KIND seeks a full-time Paralegal starting on July 1, 2018 for its New York field office. The Paralegal will support the work of a full-time attorney providing direct representation and mentoring of pro bono attorneys in the cases of unaccompanied children in immigration removal proceedings. The Paralegal will provide case preparation and support, interpretation and translation, community outreach support, database management, processing of case referrals. The Paralegal will conduct comprehensive intake interviews and outreach to child clients, and be responsible for the overall administrative duties of the office including but not limited to copying, data entry, file maintenance, and fielding voicemail and email inquiries.
Educational and Experience Requirements: Experience working with children, preferably immigrant and refugee children, or experience working with survivors of abuse, human trafficking, or other trauma.
- Fluency in Spanish required;
- Experience with office organization and management, particularly in legal settings;
- Experience in data management;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to work collaboratively, and preferably prior experience working with attorneys, law firms, or other legal service providers;
- Experience conducting intakes;
- A strong record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills; and
- Experience with immigration and/or family law and immigration authorities.
Salary Range: Commensurate with education and experience.
Reports to: Pro Bono Coordinating Attorney – New York office
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Primary Responsibilities: The staff member will have, but not be limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Assist with office administration and operations, case management, data entry and database management;
- Liaise with colleagues at other nonprofits, as well as individual members of the public, to receive and process on-line or telephonic referrals and ensure that referrals comply with KIND’s case acceptance criteria;
- Schedule and manage all logistics to ensure that an intake interview is timely scheduled;
- Interview, screen and conduct a comprehensive intake interview with individual children;
- Prepare a case summary and comprehensive memorandum for each intake, and assemble a set of case documents for use by KIND Attorneys and Pro Bono Attorneys;
- Provide case support for direct representation clients;
- Assist with interpretation and translation;
- Assist in the preparation of community outreach efforts;
- Manage data entry and database updating;
- Provide overall administrative duties including copying, file keeping, voicemail and email checking, data entry and other administrative duties as assigned;
- Prepare and manage docket lists for upcoming court dates as well as assist and notify children who are still waiting for placement with counsel;
- Coordinate and present at outreach, Know Your Rights presentations, and/or community education events as needed.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Applications, including a cover letter, resume, salary range requirements, writing sample, and three references, should be submitted online at: https://supportkind.org/jobs/
Applications that do not contain all of the above-listed required materials will not be considered.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and applicants selected for interviews will be duly notified. Please no inquiries or phone calls.
KIND is an EOE committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work.
The selected applicant will be asked to undergo a background check before acceptance of the final offer.