4301 Connecticut, NW
- Are you energized by managing a team to accomplish something big that changes lives?
- Are you passionate about transforming the built environment so that kids and families have better community spaces?
- Does traveling to communities across the US excite you?
Come play with us!
KaBOOM! is the national non-profit dedicated to bringing balanced and active play into the daily lives of all kids, particularly those growing up in poverty in America. We create great places to play, inspire communities to promote and support play, and work to drive the national discussion about the importance of play in fostering healthy lives and communities.
The Associate Director of Project Management empowers communities across North America to improve and increase access to play for kids. The Associate Director manages a team of Project Managers who lead the coordination and execution of KaBOOM! community-build playground projects and activities culminating in a transformative one day volunteer event and a springboard for further positive change. The AD guides their team of Project Managers through a successful playground project from playground design to the playground build event. The typical project requires cross-organizational coordination, group facilitation, project planning, scheduling and reporting, and budget management.
KaBOOM! is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity. Women, people of color and LGBTQ+ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage a group of Project Managers to promote high quality execution of community-build playground projects
- Track individual and team progress towards established goals
- Develop and implement initial and ongoing training for Project Managers to ensure continual quality improvement and to enhance functional and organizational skills
- Conduct analysis of challenges and problems that occur to minimize the same challenges from recurring
- Successfully lead KaBOOM! community-build playground projects and effectively serve as a Second in the field on BIWK projects
- Develop and maintain relationships with community, corporate and foundation project partners
- Participate in a team-based work environment and work together with other departments at KaBOOM! for general mission support as needed
- Significant amount of travel (up to 40%), including weekends, is required for execution of the KaBOOM! Design Day and KaBOOM! Build Day events
- 5 years of project management experience and 3 years of people management experience, preferably at a non-profit or national service organization
- Bachelor’s degree strongly desired; graduate degree or certificate in a relevant discipline is a plus
- Possess the skills necessary to prioritize, multi-task and thrive in a culture of rapid change (learn quickly from multiple sources; possess well-developed analytical, planning, organization, and problem solving skills)
- Model the behaviors that demonstrate commitment to KaBOOM! vision, mission, culture and values
- Be committed to accomplish objectives through the skills of persuasion, influence and negotiation
- Be an effective team player who can argue like they’re always right and listen like they’re always wrong
- Possess a high level of self-confidence and be willing to challenge conventional wisdom and the status-quo
- Possess the orientation and ability necessary to collaborate and work effectively as a member of a diverse, high-performing, and inclusive team
- Possess effective communication skills (listening, oral, written and presentation)
- Possess an excellent customer service orientation
Level of Language Proficiency
English - fluent
Spanish - proficiency a plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
We have a fun and dynamic work atmosphere filled with talented and passionate Boomers who want to make a difference in kids’ lives. Individuals interested in applying for this position are encouraged to go to kaboom.org/careers and select Associate Director of Project Management. Please make sure to include a thoughtful cover letter. This position will be based in our Washington, DC office.