Policy and Alliance Director- Californians for Justice
- Job posted by Californians for Justice Education Fund, Inc.
Californians for Justice is looking for a Policy and Alliance Director to work across California to transform our schools and advance racial equity.
The Policy and Alliance Director works with CFJ’s statewide team to build and strengthen alliance partnerships and manages the organizations statewide policy strategy. The Policy and Alliance Director will 1) lead and support statewide alliances 2) weave the Sacramento strategy with regional goals and strategies and support with policy drafting efforts.
The Policy Director reports to the Executive Director and is part of the CFJ statewide team. The position is full-time and exempt. In all duties and responsibilities, this position exercises discretion and independent judgment.
Statewide & Local Campaigns
CFJ’s campaign and policy reform goals at the local and statewide levels include: our Relationship Centered Schools campaign work, and a focus on policy and legislation that advances racial justice and educational equity.
- Support the implementation of our 2018 budget win by ensuring that the Community Engagement Initiative involves parent and student engagement
- Travel regularly to Sacramento to strengthen legislative and alliance partnerships and opportunities
- Work with Strategy Director, Organizing Directors, and Communications Manager to develop & implement a unified statewide campaign strategy that advances our local campaigns
- Rigorously and regularly evaluate our statewide policy work within the statewide education landscape
- Conduct regular policy research to update statewide team on policies and legislation that align to our work, while also identifying opportunities to author our own legislation
- Stay abreast of the California and national education issues and landscape
State Policy & Alliances
- Act as CFJ’s point person on statewide alliance work (Defend and Mend, relevant statewide education workgroups, etc.)
- Lead state-level advocacy on CFJ’s policy priorities (2-3 issues per year) by supporting delegation visits, meeting with policy makers and ensuring that CFJ students and staff are prepared to lead these meetings
- Build and maintain relationships with state level grassroots, policy and advocacy groups and engage them in our campaigns as appropriate
- Work with CFJ’s Communications team to develop effective media strategies and messaging to advance state policy goals
- Work with staff to create youth/community friendly trainings on policy and budget issues
Organizational Leadership & Responsibilities
- Serve as an active member of the CFJ Leadership Team to provide overall organizational leadership
- Participate in all grassroots fundraising campaigns and maintain a portfolio of individual and organizational prospects for solicitation
- Engage in foundation fundraising, including proposal development, providing report information, general stewardship and leading site visits
- Participate in cross-department committees and teams
- Provide support for and participate in organization-wide and regional campaigns and events
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 3 years of advocacy or public policy experience
- Minimum of 2 years in a senior level staff position
- Experience in 2 or more of the following areas: campaign strategy development, policy development, alliance building, strategic communications
- Strong commitment to social justice, racial justice and youth empowerment
- Ability to work effectively with public officials and a variety of stakeholders from grassroots groups, advocates, researchers, and litigators
- Excellent oral and written communication, problem-solving and detail oriented
- Understanding of California’s education policy and landscape
- Advanced skills in facilitation of small and large group meetings
- Strong computer skills with expertise in Microsoft Office; familiarity with Apple Computers and G-Suite is a plus
- 3 years of staff management and supervision experience
- Background in youth, community or labor organizing strongly preferred
This position will work out of CFJ’s offices (preferably San Jose or Oakland, flexible with Long Beach and Fresno) and will commute to Sacramento frequently during the legislative cycle and as needed. Offices are shared among several employees.
- Able to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk, for extended periods of time.
- Able to read a computer screen. Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard.
- Able to speak clearly on the phone and in person and be understood by others.
- Able to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
CFJ provides a generous benefits package, including fully paid health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) for employees working at least half-time and their dependents. We also offer substantial vacation days and time off.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send your resume, a cover letter demonstrating your interest and qualifications, and at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Policy and Alliance Director – Your Name.”
CFJ is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. People of color, women, lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender/gender nonconforming, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.