Full Time Contract
Details: 55,000- 64,000 EUR before tax and social insurance deductions
ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability (ICLEI) is the world’s leading network of over 1,500 cities, towns and metropolises committed to building a sustainable future. By helping the ICLEI Network to become sustainable, low-carbon, resilient, ecomobile, biodiverse, smarter, resource-efficient and productive, healthy and happy, with a green economy, we impact over 25% of the world's urban population. ICLEI works on a not-for-profit basis through the World Secretariat in Bonn, Germany and its 17 Regional Secretariats and Country Offices around the globe.
ICLEI´s Low Carbon City Agenda is implemented by all ICLEI Offices. It focuses on 4 main action areas to support local governments and promote what they are doing: (i) conducting climate advocacy, (ii) managing global processes and platforms, (iii) providing technical support, and (iv) exploring access to climate finance.
We work in a multicultural, international environment with colleagues and partners around the globe.
We are seeking a highly motivated, pro-active and experienced candidate for the position of:
Manager, Climate Finance
The position is attractive for experienced professionals interested in a dynamic work environment, working as part of a growing team.
• Manage ICLEI’s engagement in facilitating access to finance for local climate projects and establishing a robust project pipeline through the Transformative Actions Program (TAP).
• Connect the TAP to existing Project Preparation Facilities (PPFs) managed by partners of ICLEI and others.
• Drive outreach of the ICLEI-managed TAP by engaging in advocacy focusing on national and international enabling framework conditions and initiatives that can help finance and scaling up local climate action.
• Develop new and maintain existing TAP partnerships with financing institutions, government agencies, non-governmental organizations, and city networks around the globe.
• Represent ICLEI at relevant high level events.
• Lead capacity building activities for local and subnational governments on finance, also using ICLEI-managed tools and materials, coordinating this across multiple ICLEI offices and with partners.
• Support the development and promotion of ICLEI’s Low Carbon City Agenda and Resilient City Agenda, project acquisition and management of projects and initiatives.
Terms and conditions:
• Full-time position available from 1 May 2018, limited for 2 years, with a possibility of extension.
• Position based in Bonn, Germany.
• International travel will be required.
• Communication with partners around the world may require work outside of normal office hours.
• ICLEI is offering an annual salary of 55,000- 64,000 EUR before tax and social insurance deductions for the full-time position. The final salary will be determined based on the skills and experience of the shortlisted candidate.
• The Manager, Climate Finance reports to the Director of the carbonn Center.
• Due to legal requirements, applicants must be eligible to obtain an appropriate work permit for Germany prior to the start of the position.
Level of Language Proficiency
• Minimum of 8 years’ experience in the field of climate change /energy, financing and project management, ideally working with financing institutions.
• University degree (or equivalent) in a relevant subject such as in Financing or Economy. A relevant Master´s or PhD degree is an asset.
• Thematic knowledge of the Paris Agreement and global climate regime is required, an understanding of local climate change mitigation and adaptation strategies and policies is recommended.
• Expertise relevant to managing multiple projects is required.
• Strong skills in research, analytical thinking, planning and reporting.
• Experience working with not-for-profit and/or membership organizations is desirable.
• Creative and pro-active attitude in team work is required.
• Fluency in written and spoken English; and proficiency in other languages is an asset.
• Proficiency in office software and internet applications.
The successful candidate:
• shows enthusiasm for urban low emission and resilient development, and securing access to financing solutions to achieve this,
• is particularly interested in accelerating climate action, supporting local governments, quality of reported data and sharing knowledge,
• has an organized working method,
• shows excellence in communicating ICLEI’s messages to public policy makers, municipal technical staff, financing institutions, and potential donors,
• is an excellent public speaker, fluent in English (oral and written); and an expert in using office and presentation software.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
By email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Manager, Climate Finance” in the subject line and send us:
• CV (maximum 2 pages)
• letter of motivation
• indication of salary expectation
• indication of citizenship (or work permit for Germany), and
• indication of availability date
Please note that applications received after the deadline cannot be considered.
In order to support the evaluation via interview, shortlisted candidates might be required to undergo a written test relevant to the job content prior to the interview.
Kindly note that applications are reviewed continuously upon arrival, therefore submitting your application as soon as possible is advisable.
The ICLEI World Secretariat shall only contact those applicants shortlisted for this position.
Application Deadline: 5 April 2018