Role & Responsibilities
Oversee the implementation of ongoing WASH projects according to donor agreements and within the quality principles defined by CHS, SPHERE, and Medair values and policies; ensures proactive collaboration with stakeholders and humanitarian network actors at the local Southern and national level. The job holder supports the design and launch of new projects; facilitates the development and advancement of Medair's regional strategy in Southern Madagascar and in the WASH sector of the Madagascar Program; assists in ensuring good communication with other Medair programmes, departments and affiliate offices globally; ensures the monitoring, evaluation, and capitalisation of all aspects of Medair's projects in Southern Madagascar; and serves as the main agent for advancing management change and processes of digitisation and innovation according to Medair's global directions in Medair's WASH programme in Madagascar.
Medair Madagascar's WASH programme in the South consists of rehabilitation and new construction of WASH infrastructure; support to municipalities in WASH infrastructure management; hygiene training including awareness of the linkage between WASH & Nutrition and Covid-19 measures; water trucking for safe water supply in health centres, schools or homes; Covid-19 disinfection campaigns; distribution of WASH kits; participatory community awareness and training for sustainable water resource management and specifically drinking water infrastructure management.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Antananarivo 50%, Grand-Sud 50%, Madagascar.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
May 2021. Full time, 6 months with possibility of extension.
Key Activity Areas
- Oversee and support the overall project implementation of ongoing interventions in line with Medair project management guidelines and with the relevant project managers, assuring that projects are implemented within agreed scope, budget and timeframe and ensuring that objectives are met.
- Oversee the comprehensive activity planning for the designated project(s), with special focus on required resources to ensure smooth implementation and staff care. Ensure that Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning practices follow the Medair MEAL and AAP policies and data quality guidelines.
- Ascertain that donor, GSO and Government reporting is with qualitative depth, in time and accurate.
- Maintain an up-to-date overview of the regional context and specifically in the emergence of new needs or the development of the ongoing food security crisis, drought, regular occurring pests and disease outbreaks.
- Facilitate the development of regional strategy for future Medair interventions in Southern Madagascar and support the country program in the development and production of new concepts and proposals.
- Seek to leverage collaboration, partnerships, and consortia applications to align and strengthen aid efforts, foster true multi-stakeholder approaches, and facilitate systemic change.
- Proactively engage into relationships with relevant stakeholders and represent Medair at relevant meetings.
- Seek out and actively participate in relevant local networks or task groups on specific humanitarian aid issues
- Accompany donors & visitors on trips & ensure programme details are transmitted in a professional manner.
- Create the budgets for the designated projects in collaboration with PM and field support staff, sector advisers and global finance partner and in accordance with donor guidelines and Medair global requirements.
- Facilitate budget literacy among PM and project teams and conduct regular budget reviews with PM.
- Facilitate correct procedures and coding of finance and logistics documents, assure weekly cash needs forecasts, and support the finance team for correct bi-weekly finance posting processes.
- Ensure all personnel related issues for the staff of the designated project(s) are carried out. This includes recruitment, onboarding, objective setting and appraisal, training, disciplinary action, exit interviews etc.
- Ensure that staff receive on-the-job training by providing mentoring and coaching.
- Promote the health and security of all staff, consultants, and volunteers by ensuring the application of security guidelines, promoting safe health protocols, and assure that teams find themselves in healthy living conditions.
Effective and efficient Management
- Promote and use the Medair digital platforms, management tools and other operating procedures, ensuring that the standardised formats are known, used and guidelines are followed.
- Involve team members in proposal processes, management system set-up, budget management, reporting, external representation, and other PC tasks to build their competence and distribute workloads as adequate.
- Ascertain that authorisations of expenditure are signed on the lowest possible level to share ownership.
- Ensure all projects are set-up, implemented and closed in line with donor proposals and requirements.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- A combination of university degrees and certificates that cover a relevant technical subject relating to WASH and the field of project management, development, or business administration.
- Strong working knowledge of English and French (spoken and written). Malagasy knowledge is an asset.
Experience / Competencies
- 3 years post-qualification experience in a project management position in a relief or development environment.
- Overseas work experience with WASH field work, preferably with a relief and rehabilitation NGO (desirable).
- Basic technical comprehension of water and sanitation infrastructure. Experience in tendering & procurement.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills with focus on systemic change.
- Proven facilitation skills, acquired participatory toolbox, and good governance approaches.
- Sound report and proposal writing skills including clear presentation and interpretation of data and justification of needs, approaches, and quality of results. Experience in dealing with donors and government officials.
- Good knowledge of UN and other humanitarian actors and of current humanitarian debates and issues.