29-76 Northern Blvd.
Long Island City
Unit: Court Advocacy
Reports to: Senior Director, Court Advocates
Status: Full Time; Regular; Non-Exempt
Days/Hours: Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Date Prepared: March 7, 2018
Responsible for working within the court system to assess, screen and advocate for the Alternatives to Incarceration placements; and report to the court regarding clients’ participation in the program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Screen court records and court related documents to identify eligible candidates for Fortune’s ATI program;
- Liaison with defense bar for the alternative to detention/incarceration of their clients;
- Interview prospective clients, both currently incarcerated and at liberty;
- Advocate before the court for the release of clients to Fortune’s ATI programs;
- Present written and verbal reports to the Court regarding client’s participation in ATI program;
- Collaborate with Fortune’s counselors, case managers, and other staff to encourage and assist clients in achieving productive long-term and short-term goals;
- Record accurate information on all court proceedings related to clients’ court cases;
- Provide information within criminal justice system regarding Fortune’s ATI service;
- Establish collaborative relationships with defense attorneys, judges, and prosecutors that engender confidence in Fortune Society’s; and
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Ability to get access to the courts through an Office of Court Administration Secure Pass;
- High school diploma or GED/HSE required;
- Previous court advocacy experience preferred;
- Experience with databases for entering client information;
- Knowledge of the structure and procedures of the Criminal Justice system and its legalese required;
- Experience with ATD and ATI programs a plus;
- Strong oral and written communications skills required;
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus; and
- We seek talented, dedicated individuals from all walks of life who possess a strong commitment to this mission. Relevant personal experience is a plus.
Travel Requirements: Requires travel around NYC boroughs and to our Harlem site office.
Physical Demands: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The responsibilities and requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, minimum education, training, licensing, experience and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
The Fortune Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of conviction history, race, religion/creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, victim of domestic violence status or marital status.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply