Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA) is a membership nonprofit advancing diversity in newsrooms, and ensuring fair and accurate coverage of communities of color. AAJA is a national organization with members and chapters nation-wide plus an Asia chapter.
AAJA seeks a Program and Membership Coordinator to support signature AAJA journalism programs, convention, and membership services. As a key member of a small and growing AAJA team, this position will report to the Director of Programs and Partnerships and other members of the team as appropriate to best meet AAJA's mission.
We seek a mission-oriented, big-picture-thinking but also detail-focused individual who is highly organized and excited for opportunities to create, innovate, and build structures. Must have an all-hands-on-deck and can-do attitude. Can anticipate needs, pivot quickly, juggle multiple competing priorities, and think strategically. Strong writing skills are a must. Familiarity with data is preferred.
- Planning, programming, and logistical support for AAJA’s signature programs and alumni programming, including but not limited to JCamp, Voices, ELP, Catalyst, Mentor Match, Media Watch, Media Institute, and AAJA Studio.
- Administration, logistical support, and communications coordination for AAJA’s scholarships and awards programs and any related programming.
- Support and coordination of AAJA’s 40th Anniversary programs and initiatives.
- Set up and produce virtual meetings and webinars.
Convention Support (20%)
- Provide logistical support and coordination for all aspects of AAJA’s annual convention, including but not limited to registration, program planning, staffing the convention programming committee, speaker and panel prep and scheduling, sponsor communications and benefits coordination, and virtual and on-site logistics and troubleshooting.
Membership Support and Database Administration (25%)
- Maintain membership, alumni, and employers database.
- Support data migration, entry, and export tasks as it pertains to chapter and affinity group rosters.
- Provide support to ongoing communications with membership.
- Direct and respond to support requests via phone and email.
- Make updates to the website and social media as needed.
Board & Governance (5%)
- Compile board reports & prep for board meetings.
- Compile monthly membership reports.
Qualifications and Expectations
- Possess excellent judgment, professionalism, interpersonal skills.
- Ability to develop and executive innovative ideas.
- Strong organizational planning and training skills, including the ability to document and manage multiple workflows in a complex organizational system.
- Works well under pressure and handles stress with grace.
- Accepts and acts well on performance-based feedback and direction.
- Must have experience working remotely and as part of teams.
- Experience with media and familiarity with journalism industry preferred.
- Background or education in Asian American and/or Pacific Islander studies preferred.
- WordPress, Google Suite, Salesforce, Zoom meeting and webinar experience preferred