137 Belmont Avenue
Position: Assistant Director, Seth Low Cornerstone
Reports to: Cornerstone Site Director
Program: Cornerstone Program, Division of Youth Development
Hours: Full Time as follows:
School Year: Tues – Fri, 2pm-10pm and Sat, 10am -6pm
Summer: Weds – Fri, 3pm to 11pm and Sat & Sun, 3pm to 11pm
Founded in 1866, Brooklyn Community Services (BCS) empowers children and families to reach their full potential, strengthen families, and foster self-sufficiency in adults. With programs in 25 locations, BCS serves more than 12,000 individuals a year.
Cornerstone Programs provide academic and recreational opportunities to children, teens and adults in NYCHA community centers. The Cornerstone program is offered every weekday from 9:00 am to 10:00 pm, Saturdays from 10:00 am to 5:00pm, and extended hours during the summer and school holidays. BCS Cornerstone Programs are located in Brownsville, Fort Greene, and Coney Island.
- In conjunction with the Site Director, supervises staff and participants in the community center. Oversees the day-to-day activities of the center.
- Assists Site Director in creating high quality experiences that are aligned with the BCS philosophy: planning, organizing, developing, scheduling, enforcing rules, and evaluating recreation/educational activities in the center.
- Assists with hiring, training, supervising, scheduling and evaluating part-time center staff.
- Schedules the community center facilities and supervises conditions of the facilities such as set-ups and breakdowns of facility equipment and resources.
- Conducts and attends a variety of training seminars, staff meetings, community and recreation meetings as needed.
- Maintains inventory of supplies and equipment; distributes supplies and equipment, assists with ordering supplies and equipment for community center.
- Assists Site Director with preparing and administering individual payroll for staff.
- Conducts participant intakes and ensures that files are up to date.
- Organize, plan and facilitate meetings including outreach to parents, guardians, and faith based organizations
- Experience with effective management of crisis intervention, handling mental health issues and working with people with histories of trauma.
- Facilitate mediations and conflict resolutions sessions between participants.
- Develop and implement workshops responsive to youths’ needs.
- Input monthly deliverables and other DYCD mandates including attendances and activities.
- Must be able to multi-task, be detailed oriented, and flexible.
- Assist in carrying out other aspects of the program including planning trips, celebrations, and leadership activities.
- Develop one on one relationships with the participants, parents, and community partners
- Reliable and able to work as a team member.
- Floats between two sites in Coney Island which will include closing/opening the site, paper work for the two sites and other supervisor tasks, when additional coverage is needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
· Must have the ability to be timely, dependable and youth driven
· Must be artistically creative in the form of dance, poetry, art, drama, or forms of expression
· Must be able to work evening weekday shifts, and Saturdays and Sundays.
· Must be able to work across 2 sites - Position may float between 2 sites in Coney Island.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, Counseling, Child Development or Elementary Education encouraged to apply
· Excellent leadership, communication, supervisory and team-building skills, including the ability to motivate, align staff efforts to changing priorities and approaches, set goals, delegate responsibilities, and manage staff performance so as to ensure effective service delivery in accordance with organizational goals and program contracts.
Medical insurance, voluntary dental and vision insurance; 23 accrued vacation days and 12 sick days, life insurance coverage paid by employer, pre-tax commuter benefits, 403b retirement plan as well as training and professional development opportunities.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email resume and cover letter to:
Yolanda Colon, Deputy Director - email@example.com
Khemenec Pantin, Youth Division Director- firstname.lastname@example.org