Details: Salary is based on experience; please include desired range in cover letter.
1107 17th Street NW
MSA is looking for committed, enthusiastic people with a sense of humor to join our organizing team! Main Street Alliance is committed to equal opportunity, and are considering applicants of all races, gender, ages, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, religion, and abilities. We urge people of color, and experienced organizers and activists of all backgrounds, to apply.
General Purpose: Main Street Alliance (MSA) seeks a Communications Director to work with the MSA network on strategic campaigns communications.
Position Overview: Main Street Alliance (501(c)(3)) and Main Street Alliance Action Fund (501(c)(4)) are seeking a talented, self-directed, strategic communications director to develop and execute a strategic communications plan for Main Street Alliance/Action Fund, which would include framing and messaging for MSA campaigns, creating high-profile media engagement opportunities for members, developing talking points for staff and members, and creating communications products.
About Main Street Alliance: Main Street Alliance is a national network of state-based small business coalitions working to elevate the voices of small business owners on issues that impact their businesses, their employees, and the communities that they serve. Founded in 2008 to ensure that small business owners voices were heard in the campaign to win affordable health care, Main Street Alliance now works on a range of issues in cities and states across the country, our policy agenda includes tax and budget fairness, comprehensive immigration reform, money in politics issues and a variety of job quality issues. We are led by a diverse group of small business owners at the state and national levels.
- Drive proactive national narrative. Use relationships, experience and skill to lead the creation and execution of earned and paid media strategies that create powerful public narratives in support of Main Street Alliance mission and campaigns.
- Elevate member voices. Develop, implement, and evaluate communications strategies to accomplish Main Street Alliance mission and goals.
- Plan and execute sharp and strategic campaigns. Use your experience and skills to execute narrative campaigns through use of variety of tactics including, but not limited to: rapid-response, print, video, radio, and digital communications.
- Think outside the box. Improve on existing, traditional strategies and bring new edgy ideas to the team.
- Supervise. Help develop and supervise MSA’s communications team, and work closely with full MSA team to achieve greatest impact.
- Relationship development and management. Develop and maintain relationships with MSA leaders, strategic allies, key decision-makers, and key media contacts from mainstream and business press.
- Make No Small Plans. But do make well-written ones. Work with team to develop monthly (and longer-term) work plans to drive work forward.
- Look to the long-term. Push every campaign to address not just the short-term gains but how they interact with Main Street Alliance’s long-term goals.
- Build deep trust. Invest in relationships with members, leaders and staff in order to deeply understand their self-interest.
- Be inclusive. Recognize and appreciate different ways of working and being.
- Be proactive. Ask questions. Look for new ways to engage. Take ownership of your work and bring ideas to the table.
- Model our values and culture. Model optimism inside and outside the organization, and reinforce our core values and culture. Model transparent and accountable decision- making, and build this culture on staff.
The ideal candidate should have the following experience and qualifications:
- At least 5 years of communications experience in journalism, public relations, campaign management or a related field. The ability to take policy and information and transform them into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
- Familiarity with digital and emerging media tools and openness to expanding skills in this area.
- Demonstrated experience using database management and analytics software, graphic and web design software.
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing strategic communications strategies alongside a team.
- Excellent writing,editing and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice, especially work within immigrant communities and communities of color.
- Self-starter, able to work independently as well as in a team; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
- Grassroots organizing experience and/or direct experience working and communicating with business owners a plus.
- Existing relationships and familiarity with DC-based and national media a plus.
- Ability to speak Spanish or other languages a plus.
Our competitive benefits package includes family medical, dental and vision insurance; 401(k) plan with 3% employer contribution after six months of employment; flexible spending account; life insurance; and paid time off at the end of December in addition to paid vacation.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Email one PDF including a cover letter, resume, references and two writing samples to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org with Communications Director in subject line.
Deadline to Apply: Position open until filled.