Part Time Contract
Details: Rate per instructional hour for summer program: $70.
520 Eighth Ave. Suite 321
ArtsConnection is seeking to expand its roster of artists in theater and puppetry for summer programming in 2018. Artists with a deep knowledge of theatrical and artistic forms from around the world and diverse cultures are encouraged to apply. Experience working with English language learners and students with special needs is a plus.
ArtsConnection teaching artists pay specific attention to providing inclusive and culturally responsive programming that values the voice of students in the art making process and addresses the diversity of students in the New York City public school system. Artists work to build collaborative partnerships with teachers in all our programs.
For 40 years ArtsConnection has been one of New York City's most comprehensive arts education organizations with programs in the performing, visual and media arts. In addition to programs for teens during out of school time, we provide nationally recognized programs—including residencies, curriculum development, teacher and artist professional development, educational research and professional performances—in over 110 elementary, middle and senior high schools throughout the 5 boroughs during the school year.
At ArtsConnection, teaching artists and classroom teachers collaborate to build an environment that helps students learn to work, think and communicate like young artists. Teaching artists engage in an on-going process of assessment and reflection of student work to inform their teaching practices and enhance student learning.
ArtsConnection Summer Project July 9 to August 9, 2018
Teaching Artists must commit to the following:
· Participate in a Professional Development Institute from 9:30 to 12:30 each day June 25 (M) to 28 (Th) - artists are paid for this time
· Teach a 5-session theater or puppetry curriculum for English Learners (ELs) who are enrolled in a summer school program throughout the 5 boroughs, at either the elementary or middle school level. Artists will teach 2-3 hours per day scheduled between 8:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Payment is based on a per teaching hour basis.
· The 5 sessions will be scheduled in specific schools on a weekly basis between July 9th and August 9th. Artists must be available for all five weekly sessions and may be scheduled to work up to 4 days per week, Monday through Thursday, in up to four schools, i.e., one school per day, pending availability.
· Skills/training and professional experience in theater and/or puppetry performance
· Teaching experience [NYC public school experience a plus]
· On-going commitment to strengthening teaching practice through feedback, professional development, and collaboration
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply
Please go to https://artsconnection.org/how-to-apply/ to apply.
· A cover letter explaining your approach to teaching the arts and/or the philosophy that informs your work.
· Resumé(s) demonstrating your experience and training as both an artist and as a teaching artist.
· An outline of a 5-session theater or puppetry residency outline for a grade of your choice. Include the goals of the residency and the daily learning goals for each session. [You may also include lesson plans]
ArtsConnection is an equal opportunity employer. We have a strong commitment to equity and inclusion, and value the leadership and skills of people from diverse backgrounds. People of color, LGBTQ persons, and people from other historically marginalized backgrounds are encouraged to apply.