925 Brockhurst Street
Do you seek an opportunity to lead a dynamic, multi-discipline organization that makes an impact in Oakland and beyond? St. Mary’s Center (SMC) seeks a creative leader experienced in fundraising, working with government, and collaborating with diverse partners who serve the bookended generations of at-risk seniors and preschoolers.
- Worked with a board of directors to create and implement a 3-5 year strategic plan?
- Successfully fundraised from individuals, corporations, foundations and grantors, and created meaningful relationships with funding partners to meet your strategic goals?
- Collaborated with an executive team to create a unified, high performing organizational team?
- Worked closely – and effectively – with government to fund and manage programming that meets their standards, and creates more opportunity for those you serve?
If your answer was yes to the questions above, we invite you to consider SMC. The Executive Director leads a $2.6M a year organization that provides ongoing critical services to seniors. SMC advocates on issues affecting them, including housing, healthcare, and access to food and other human rights issues. The Center also houses a pre-school, transitional housing, a winter shelter, recovery programs and other services.
About St. Mary’s Center
In terms of influence, SMC is more than a local Oakland non-profit. SMC is a member of All Together in Dignity: Fourth World Movement, a global movement to overcome poverty. Staff has travelled to the United Nations to present research. UCSF chose SMC to be the site of an important research study on the health effects of homelessness. Recently SMC received the San Francisco Foundation’s Oakland Opportunity Award for $2 million. For more about St. Mary’s Center, see our website.
Charity Navigator has given SMC a 4- star rating for fiscal management and integrity for six consecutive years.
Knowledge, Skills and
- Five years of progressive experience in high-level nonprofit leadership
- A Master’s Degree in the social service field is preferable
- Experience with regulatory requirements around government reimbursement for services and programming
- A passion for fundraising, and a track record in bringing in funding from individuals, foundations, organizations, corporations and the government
- A builder of a cohesive team that includes individuals and partners with diverse professional and philosophical perspectives
- A leadership style that inspires, engages, energizes, develops and motivates
- A collaborator who enjoys working with people from all walks of life and perspectives to achieve goals through teamwork
- Compassion for people dealing with multiple issues that affect their mental and physical health
- Experience with strategic planning, financial management and budget development in partnership with the board
- Experience with transitional and permanent housing
Personal Attributes and Values:
- Passion, focus and creativity around SMC vision, mission and values
- A strong work ethic, with an orientation toward innovation, action and continuous improvement
- A people-oriented leader who enjoys and celebrates achievements big and small, and instills that joy of celebration in those who work, volunteer, and contribute to the SMC community.
The job of the Executive Director is on site in Oakland. It includes some local, regional and national travel.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time, exempt position with a salary range of $100,000 to $115,000. The SMC workweek is 35 hours.
Due to high volume, we cannot accept phone inquiries.
St. Mary’s Center is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
St. Mary's Center offers a benefit package that includes:
- Supplemental life insurance
- Vacation/sick/holiday leave accruals in first year.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com