Manager, Scientific Outreach
1200 New York Avenue NW
Who We Are
"The advancement of science should be the chief concern of a nation that would conserve and increase the welfare of its people."
-James McKeen Cattell, former AAAS President and Editor of Science
The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) is an international non-profit organization dedicated to advancing science for the benefit of all people. For over a century, AAAS has been a force for science, from helping to establish science as a credible field in the 19th century to using satellite imaging technology to document human rights abuses in 2007. We are recognized as the world’s largest general scientific society and the proud publisher of the Science family of journals. Past presidents have included astronomer Edward Charles Pickering, anthropologist Margaret Mead, and biologist Stephen Jay Gould. Our mission is centered on the belief that STEM research and education can help solve many of the challenges the world faces today.
AAAS is a culture steeped in history, but adaptive to change and new ideas. We recognize the hard work of our employees and encourage the development of our staff. Our colleagues represent an array of expertise from scholarly publishing to digital marketing, educational research to government relations, all with a shared focus on mission. At AAAS, you are part of a talented team, dedicated to advancing science and serving society.
Work With Us
We have an exciting full-time opportunity for a Manager, Scientific Outreach within our SciLine Opens a New Window. Department in the Washington, DC office. This individual’s responsibilities will include mediating communications between SciLine, scientists, and journalists; vetting scientific experts for inclusion in SciLine’s database of experts for referral to reporters; and organizing an array of outreach activities to connect with these groups. The Manager should have a deep familiarity with the principles, methods, vocabulary, and culture of science, as well as with current research trends, particularly in the life and health sciences. SciLine is looking for someone who is undaunted and even excited by the challenge of growing a startup from the bottom up.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruit, vet, and build relationships with scientists for inclusion in SciLine’s growing database of experts
- Research and develop improved outreach methods and metrics to be used for the selection and vetting of potential experts, with an emphasis on building a robust, diverse cohort of experts
- Play a leadership role in organizing regular web-based media briefings
- Assist with outreach to reporters and others with the goal of maximizing media participation and making media briefing materials widely accessible to stakeholders
- Share duties with SciLine’s Associate Directors for Science and News & Operations in planning and implementing an array of scientist-journalist events at scientific meetings, journalism meetings, and other opportunities
- Conceive and implement a system for recruiting experts as on-the-record commentators on embargoed scientific journal materials, to include working with relevant representatives of scientific journal publishers and developing procedures for distributing commentaries to qualified journalists
- Contribute to the research, writing, and editing of fact sheets on a diverse range of topics and to the development of materials summarizing scientific findings and context for journalists as needed
- Additional duties as assigned
- Master’s degree in a life-sciences discipline or related field required; PhD encouraged
- 5+ years of experience in science, science policy, science communications, or a related field, to include working with PhD-level professionals
- Strong command of community-engagement fundamentals and interest in journalism’s role as a mediator of scientific public engagement
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills
- Excellent online research skills
- Ability to read, digest, and quickly extract meaning from scientific and technical papers
- Ability to work independently and on deadline, but appreciative of collaborative inputs
- Strong marketing instincts and design skills a plus
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample by September 1, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If we think you might be a good fit for the role, we will contact you with next steps.
AAAS is an EEO employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.
Minimum Education Required