Middle School Special Education Teacher (Self-Contained Classroom)
- Job posted by Excel Academy Charter Schools
Details: Excel provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits and is commensurate with experience.
Excel Academy Charter Schools is a network of tuition-free, public charter schools serving the Massachusetts communities of East Boston and Chelsea. It was founded to address the severe academic underperformance and low college matriculation rates of the student populations in these neighborhoods. Our founders envisioned a free, public school alternative where all students would be held to the highest academic and behavioral expectations, and college would become a reality. As a true public school, Excel is defined not by whom we exclude but by whom we include in our community. We are proud of the fact that we serve many students with special needs.
The network’s first school opened in fall 2003 in East Boston and now serves 224 students, grades 5 through 8. Excel Academy Chelsea, the 2nd school in our network, opened in fall 2011. Our third school, Excel Academy Orient Heights, opened in August of 2012. And our first high school, Excel Academy Charter High School, opened in fall 2015. Excel now educates 960 students in grades 5-10. At full scale in 2019, Excel will enroll a total of 1,350 students in grades 5-12.
Duties and Responsibilities
Excel teachers are responsible for delivering effective, high-quality, rigorous instruction designed to foster the success of their students. Teachers who thrive at Excel tend to be entrepreneurial instructors and hungry learners who crave frequent high-quality feedback on their practice. The Middle School Special Education Classroom Teacher is responsible for ensuring that all special education students who receive instruction in a substantially-separate classroom make significant academic gains through high quality small-group instruction and classroom (inclusion) support. Outside the classroom and with the support of school administrators, the Self-Contained/Sub-Separate Classroom Teacher will manage administrative/ compliance aspects of the substantially-separate caseload. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as the lead teacher for a substantially separate middle school math classroom;
- Plan and teach daily lessons aligned to common core standards designed to meet students’ specific IEP goals;
- Regularly assess students’ progress and use assessments to drive instructional choices;
- Serve as a support teacher as needed to support students to access curriculum in the general education classroom;
- Implement classroom management plans that create and uphold a positive, academic-focused classroom culture.
- Provide input for revising and reviewing IEPs for students on caseload in accordance with state and federal laws;
- Progress monitor student achievement along IEP goals and report quarterly to families;
- Ensure that IEPs are implemented as written in classroom instruction, and;
- Manage and create MCAS-Alt portfolio for students, as needed.
Team Member Responsibilities
- Enforce school-wide systems and procedures to effectively manage the classroom;
- Continually communicate with students and families regarding academic and behavior performance and progress;
- Serve as a homeroom teacher and a member of a grade-level-team;
- Support and advise homeroom team members in modifying homeroom activities to include students with special needs;
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel Community.
- A Bachelor’s degree and certification in Special Education is required; a Master’s degree is strongly preferred;
- A minimum of two years’ teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting is preferred, but not required;
- The ability to speak Spanish preferred but not required;
- A commitment to working with underserved, urban youth;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and
- An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas & programs.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please visit http://www.excelacademy.org/join-our-team/ to learn more about working at Excel, and/or visit http://jobs.jobvite.com/excel to view a current list of career opportunities and submit an application. Applications will be reviewed as they are received; candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Excel Academy Charter Schools do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language or prior academic achievement.