Health Initiatives for Youth - Health Educator/Trainer Position
- Facilitate health workshops for Bay Area youth & youth-serving adults
- Collect data from participants and provide periodic summary reports
- Develop and maintain relationships with agencies and schools where programs are implemented
- Design educational materials and prepare for workshops with colleagues
- Travel to schools, other non-profit organizations & training venues
- Workshop topics include: mental health, sexual health, LGBTQIQ Issues & how to work with queer and trans youth, queer empowerment, trans identities, harm reduction & substance use, anti-oppression, HIV prevention, STIs, safer sex, self-advocacy, peer education and leadership, body image and self-esteem, facilitation skills, etc.
- Design and distribute outreach materials for various events and recruit program participants
- Participate in relevant community collaborations and respond to requests for information from community members
- Participate in other HIFY projects
- Be available to start immediately
- Be an excellent communicator, verbally and in writing
- Be open to a flexible schedule that involves some early evening work
- Feel comfortable speaking with diverse groups of youth and adults about sensitive topics
- Be able to work in a small team environment with a high degree of independence and self-management
- Be a self-starter with excellent follow-through and organizational skills
Candidates would also benefit from…
- Familiarity with Bay Area communities and organizations, especially communities of color
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, close to graduating, or equivalent experience
- Work or volunteer experience in community organizations with high-risk youth in public settings: community organizations, schools, detention facilities, shelters, etc
- Personal experience in and around the populations we serve: at risk youth and the adults who serve them
- Background in sexual health: knowledge of anatomy, birth control, human sexuality, HIV and STI education and prevention, as well as sexual health education strategies
Compensation & FTE
- $18/hour, 20 hours a week. Benefits are not included in this position.
- Depending on funding and performance, hourly rate and/or hours per week may increase.
LGBTQIQ & Minority Candidates encouraged to apply
Unfortunately no benefits are available for part-time employees at HIFY.
Level of Language Proficiency
English; any other fluent languages are a plus
Minimum Education Required