10640 Page Avenue
Case Manager/Community Development Advocate
FACETS opens doors by helping parents, their children, and individuals who suffer the effects of poverty in Fairfax County. We meet their emergency shelter, food, and medical needs, help them gain safe sustainable and permanent housing and work with them to end the cycle of homelessness and poverty through educational, life skills and career counseling programs.
FACETS is hiring a dynamic individual to serve as a full-time Community Development Advocate (CDA) on FACETS Education and Community Development Team (ECD). The CDA will assess the needs of a diverse population residing at an affordable housing property located in Fairfax, VA. The CDA will work closely with Fairfax County Redevelopment and Housing Authority (FCHRA) to implement “Moving to Work” (MTW), a part of FCHRA’s Total Housing Reinvention for Individual Success, Vital Services, and Economic Empowerment (THRIVE) initiative. Through THRIVE and MTW, the CDA will provide community case management to link residents to services and programs aimed at helping them become more self-sufficient. This may include case management, community development, and adult and youth programs. CDA will coordinate and oversee volunteer staff. A candidate that is bi-lingual in English/Arabic is strongly preferred.
Community Development Duties:
- Manage and operate Robinson Square Community Center.
- Maintain partnership with Fairfax County Department of Housing and Community Development regarding resident and community lease agreements and regulations.
- Conduct outreach by recruiting and retaining resident participation in FACETS programs.
- Train and support volunteers and interns on relevant program material to ensure high program standards and safety.
- Maintain accurate records of resident registration and participation in programming.
- Organize and plan community center programs such as: Homework Help, computer training, ESOL, girls and boys groups, mentoring, etc.
- Collaborate with residents to identify and address issues affecting the community such as drugs, child safety and graffiti.
- Advocate for residents by developing and maintaining partnerships with other agencies as needed.
Community Case Management Duties:
- Provide case management, including assessment, individualized action plan, and crisis intervention to individuals and families in affordable housing.
- Promote self-sufficiency by providing services designed to increase the skills and income of adult residents in the community.
- Provide mediation and advocacy with FCHRA on the household’s behalf to develop a workable plan to maintain housing.
- Create and maintain consistent communication channels, both verbal and written, between several parties (i.e. resident/household, FCHRA, collaborating agencies, debtors, and creditors)
- Serve as an ongoing liaison between property managers and residents as well as between residents and neighbors.
- Identify and assist households, who have the potential to graduate from affordable housing, with moving into unsubsidized housing including homeownership.
- Travels and makes home visits as well as works an adjusted work schedule including evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Uses automated technology and hard copy files to maintain, update, and report on case data, goal attainment, and outcomes in a timely manner.
- Assist Deputy Executive Director and Team Leader with writing and managing grants, including budget management and reporting as necessary.
- Assists in managing the FACETS budget for program expenditures.
- Participates in program staff meetings and conferences to share ideas and plans; works cooperatively with staff to meet FACETS goals.
- Represents FACETS in the community, in accord with Agency Mission, Vision, and Code of Ethics.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in social services or related field.
- Bi-lingual in English/Arabic strongly preferred.
- Bi-lingual in Urdu or Farsi a plus.
- Knowledge or understanding of tenant’s rights and responsibilities as well as “strengths based” case management.
- Two years experience providing community based services including case management and community development preferred.
- Excellent data entry and data quality skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends.
- Ability to establish and maintain case records and to facilitate data collection.
- Experience in grant reporting a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required, strong interpersonal skills, organizational skills, independent and creative worker.
- Ability to lift items weighing 10-20 pounds.
- Candidate must possess a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, good driving record, and personal car insurance.
- Candidate must be able to drive 15 passenger van.
- Candidate will be required to pass criminal background and Child Protective Services background checks.
Equal Employment Opportunity M/F/D/V.
Interested candidates please email resume and cover letter to mwilliams@FacetsCares.org
Minimum Education Required