SCO Family of Services has provided vital human services throughout New York City and Long Island for more than 100 years. SCO helps vulnerable New Yorkers build a strong foundation for the future, aiding to get young children off to a good start, launch youth into adulthood, stabilize and strengthen families and unlock potential for children and adults with special needs.
SCO is seeking dedicated Therapeutic Case Managers to provide oversight and case management services to incarcerated young adults ages between 18-21 years old. In order to facilitate safety, permanency, and well-being, in jail and on their re-entry into community.
- Facilitate Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) infused job readiness curriculum based sessions to incarcerated young adults on Riker’s Island. Including: life skills, career development, employment skills, resume building, cover letters and interview preparation.
- Organizing and facilitating case planning conferences with young adults, family members and other network providers / professionals.
- Gathers appropriate information on young adults and family functioning and integrates information into comprehensive assessments and transitional plans for re-entry.
- Assist young adults in finding community resources such as housing, employment, education, mental and physical health care services.
- Document all contact with clients and collaterals; Creates clear action plans and case activity for weekly progress report submission.
- Provide referrals for community based services and any other required services that a young adult may require.
- Tracks, monitors and reports on YA attendance, achievement and progression while incarcerated and released.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with DOC uniform and non-uniform personnel, colleagues and vendors, to promote and achieve the YAWP contractual objectives.
- Ability to recognize problematic behaviors, while cultivating empathy, solving problems, and delivering the required coping skills to young adults.
- Use motivational interviewing techniques to optimize engagement and enable change through identification of young adult goals.
- Maintain weekly contact with youth who are released to the community through group and individual counseling sessions, and through visits to school and/or job placements, as well as other community based support services.
- 35 hours a work week; Flexibility for evening and weekend coverage.
- SCO Family of Services is an equal employment opportunity employer.
- Bachelor's Degree in Social Work, Psychology, Sociology, Education or Human Services Field four or more year’s prior experience working with young adults ages 18-21 in a social services setting;
- Or a Master’s Degree in Social Work, Psychology, Sociology, Education or Human Services Field with 2 or more years prior experience working with young adults ages 18-21 in a social services setting.
- Ability to obtain Department of Corrections clearance and work within the constraints of facility guidelines. Including lock downs and personal screenings, this can be changed at the discretion of the Department of Correction.
- Good Microsoft Office and Database skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills required. Bi-Lingual a plus.
- Good organizational and time management skills, with the ability to work on own initiative and under pressure.
- The ability to manage, motivate and represent young adults at a variety of levels.
- Ability to create and sustain a learning environment in which the safety and the welfare of young and vulnerable adults are paramount
- High levels of drive, determination and commitment.
- Excellent team working skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and a capacity to work with a wide range of people.
- Ability to act under own initiative and constantly strive to deliver excellence and creativity in your work.
- Analytical skills - proven ability to deal with complex issues and make them.
- Ability to prioritize urgent issues whilst achieving outcomes to agreed deadlines.
- An uncompromising approach to outstanding customer service.
Minimum Education Required