8794-O Sacramento Drive
Family Case Manager-Homeless Prevention
FACETS opens doors by helping parents, their children, and individuals who suffer the effects of poverty in Fairfax County. We meet their emergency shelter, food, and medical needs, help them gain safe sustainable and permanent housing and work with them to end the cycle of homelessness and poverty through educational, life skills and career counseling programs.
FACETS is hiring a full-time Family Case Manager to provide housing stabilization services, including eviction prevention and shelter diversion, for families who are unstably housed and at-risk of homelessness in the southern part of Fairfax County. The successful candidate will have a good working knowledge of HUD’s definitions of homelessness as well as the Family Homeless Services System in Fairfax County. A candidate with an MSW and 2 years post-Master’s degree experience is preferred.
- Assess housing barriers of families who are unstably housed and at-risk of homelessness to determine housing and service needs.
- Develop housing procurement, financial, and self-sufficiency case management plan with participants. This will include intake interview to determine household needs, goals, and eligibility.
- Provide mediation and advocacy with landlords on the household’s behalf to develop a workable plan to obtain and/or maintain housing.
- Determine appropriateness of household for receipt of prevention/diversion funds and recommend amount. Allocates and tracks use of prevention/diversion funds.
- Create and maintain consistent communication channels, both verbal and written, between several parties (i.e. tenant, landlord, referral source, collaborating agencies, debtors, and creditors)
- Serve as an ongoing liaison between property managers and participants as well as between participants and neighbors.
- Apply knowledge of residential lease contracts to educate participants of their rights and responsibilities.
- Mediation between the program participant and the owner or person(s) with whom the program participant is living, provided that the mediation is necessary to prevent the program participant from losing permanent housing in which the program participant currently resides.
- Credit counseling and other services necessary to assist program participants with critical skills related to budgeting, managing money, accessing a free personal credit report, and resolving personal credit problems.
- Documents all services identified and provided, referrals made, and transportation provided.
- Advocates for and actively assists families and individuals in obtaining services (e.g. benefits, mental health, substance abuse, housing referrals, financial assistance, home based services, training, medical services, mentoring and socialization).
- Travels and makes home visits as well as works an adjusted work schedule including evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Uses automated technology including HMIS and hard copy files to maintain, update, and report on case data, goal attainment, and outcomes in a timely manner.
- Represents FACETS in the community, in accord with Agency Mission, Vision, Values, and Code of Ethics.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in an applicable human services field plus two years of professional social work/case management experience with homeless and/or at-risk populations. MSW preferred.
- Bi-lingual (English/Arabic or English/Spanish) a plus.
- Requires knowledge and belief in “Housing First” and “Rapid Re-Housing” philosophy and strategies.
- Knowledge or understanding of tenant’s rights and responsibilities as well as “strengths based” case management.
- Knowledge of current social service, homeless, and housing issues and methods/approaches to address issues.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast paced environment
- Excellent data entry and data quality skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends.
- Ability to use HMIS to establish and maintain case records and to facilitate data collection.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Candidate must be able to lift items weighing 10-20 pounds
- Candidate must possess a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, good driving record, and personal car insurance.
- Candidate must be able to drive 15 passenger van.
- Candidate will be required to pass criminal background and Child Protective Services background checks.
Equal Employment Opportunity M/F/D/V.
How to apply: Please e-mail resume and cover letter to mwilliams@FacetsCares.org
Minimum Education Required