Details: Yearly Salary
We're excited about professionals who are fired up about our liberal arts program, positive approach to discipline, and commitment to serve all students. Join us as we foster innate curiosities, encourage discussion and debate, and guide students to think their own way through to answers.
The accounts payable manager oversees day-to-day accounts payable operations, manages a team of 3+ accounts payable staff members, and supports network and school-based operations teams in the purchasing process and payables process. The accounts payable manager supports, coaches, and develops the accounts payable staff. He or she reviews, monitors, reports, and advises on accounts payable activity and network and schools' purchasing activity in support of meeting internal goals and deadlines and adhering to Ascend's fiscal policies and procedures. He or she plays a key role in recognizing areas where purchasing and accounts payable processes could be more effective and efficient and works with the director of finance to design and execute initiatives to address these needs.
Why extraordinary professionals choose Ascend
Ascend is a network of K-12 public charter schools serving 4,000 students across 10 schools in Central Brooklyn. Our mission is to lead our students on a great intellectual journey, providing them with an exceptional education and placing them firmly on the path to success in college and beyond.
We guide our students to think critically and independently and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rich and rigorous liberal arts curriculum that nurtures students' natural curiosity about the world. We foster a positive, non-punitive school culture where students feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. Even our school buildings are designed to reflect our high aspirations for teaching and learning and the notable accomplishments that occur within our walls.
To create this kind of vibrant learning community, we invest heavily in our faculty by providing ongoing professional training and support, and encourage our educators to collaborate closely and push each other to achieve great outcomes.
Visit our website to learn more about the Ascend approach.<img src="https://rs.careerliaison.com/pixel/gt5fkhgcg472rynn"><img src="https://analytics.click2apply.net/vlLxeariJmwgRTNGwf4ynJ">
The accounts payable manager oversees the accounts payable function; ensures all check requests, reimbursements, vendor invoices, wires, ACHs, cash receipts, etc. are processed in a timely and accurate manner. Additionally, the accounts payable manager:
- Reviews purchasing and accounts payable documentation for accuracy and adherence to internal guidelines and fiscal policies and procedures
- Coordinates the setup and updating of vendors in the financial system
- Tracks and verifies that monthly, recurring expenses are posted timely
- Manages month-end close of accounts payable transactions
- Manages customer-vendor relations and inquiries received by the accounts payable distribution group; ensures accounts payable staff provides timely responses; supports with internal and external inquiries
- Collaborates with accounts payable staff, network and school-based staff, and vendors on resolving outstanding invoices and account balances; assists with reconciliation of invoices and payments
- Reviews account activity for accuracy; reclassifies expenses to appropriate accounts and ensures transactions are posted following appropriate accounting standards and practices
- Develops practices and implements systems that improve the overall efficiency of the accounts payable function
- Establishes performance objectives and priorities for accounts payable staff; meets with staff regularly to prioritize tasks, identify problems, and resolve workload issues
- Trains and evaluates accounts payable staff to enhance their performance, professional development, and work product; addresses performance issues and makes recommendations for personnel actions and rewards
- Ensure that annual IRS form 1099s are prepared and submitted timely.
- Assists with annual audits
- Maintains an orderly accounting filing system
- Performs accounts payable functions as needed
- Informs and advises the Director of Finance of pertinent issues
Staff and reporting relationships
The accounts payable manager reports to the director of finance and manages a team of 3+ accounts payable staff members.
- Minimum of Bachelor's degree
- 5+ years of accounting experience; non-profit accounting experience preferred
- 2+ years of management experience
- Extensive experience with accounting software
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications; highly skilled in Excel
- Considerable knowledge of accounts payable policies, procedures, and best practices
- Strong analytical and technical skills; ability to think strategically
- High organizational skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Effective management skills
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Self-starter and self-driven; able to prioritize and multi-task without daily direct supervision
- Strong work ethic
- Ability to work collaboratively with all levels of staff
Diversity at Ascend
Ascend is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community, both through our hiring practices and our focus on creating a culture and environment where diverse perspectives, ideas, and identities are valued and integrated into our way of working and educating students. Ascend staff represent a wide diversity of racial, socio-economic, gender, religious, and national identities—opening a window to the entire Ascend community on the richness of humanity. We welcome all applicants who share our mission and vision to join us in our deeply consequential work.
Ascend offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Accounts Payable Manager