Details: Salary is commensurate with experience and is determined in accordance with Legal Services NYC Collective Bargaining Agreement.
349 East 149th Street
*This position is at Legal Services NYC - Bronx*
Bronx Legal Services is the largest provider of free civil legal services in the Bronx, and one of the largest legal services offices in New York City. For more than forty five years, we have been providing legal assistance to secure life’s basic necessities – the right to housing, food, clothing, safety, medical care, education, economic security – for the residents of several of the country’s poorest communities.
We are seeking (2) two Intake Paralegals to support the work of our office and our mission. Intake Paralegals will be expected to work closely with lawyers, clients, and community partners.
Experience and Qualifications
Intake Paralegals duties include:
· conducting screenings of clients including demographic and eligibility determinations;
· coordinating follow-up services including appointments, referrals, client correspondence;
· Providing information, referrals and advice under the supervision of an attorney
· opening , closing and maintaining client files;
· translating and using language assistance resources;
· assisting with client-related matters including sending correspondence;
· entering and tracking information in electronic formats, and running reports;
· Intake Paralegal may also be asked to perform off-site intake and outreach.
· Experience working with a diverse low-income population; and ability to identify client’s needs quickly and accurately
· Excellent computer skills;
· Excellent writing, and communication skills;
· Prior relevant work experience; Post-high school education
· Experience entering and tracking information in electronic formats
· Proficient in Microsoft Suite;
· Bilingual in English and Spanish strongly preferred.
· Excellent organizational skills;
Bronx Legal Services is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. People of color, women, people with disabilities, people over 40, and gay, lesbian, and transgender people are all welcome and encouraged to apply.
Job #s 75-76_2018
Salary is commensurate with experience and is determined in accordance with Legal Services NYC Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Benefits include excellent health and dental insurance, an employer contribution to a pre-tax 403(b) pension plan, and generous leave time.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual in English and Spanish strongly preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a cover letter, resume, names of three references and one recent writing sample via e-mail to: Sandra Sanchez firstname.lastname@example.org the e-mail should include “Housing Intake Paralegal” in the subject line.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls.
Position available: immediate
Please refer to Experience and Qualifications in Description above.