Details: Additional overtime pay is possible
22 East 91st Street
The Spence School, founded in 1892, is an independent school for girls and young women with an enrollment of 720 students in Grades K – 12. We are seeking a full-time Hot Line Chef at our Middle/Upper School campus.
Our lunch program serves a diverse menu of creative, made from scratch meals using locally sourced ingredients whenever possible. The Hot Line Chef works with a Co-Chef and a team of prep cooks, under the direction of the Kitchen Manager to prepare healthy and delicious lunches and snacks for students, staff and faculty daily. The Hot Station Co-Chefs are responsible for menu planning, record keeping and execution of lunch and special event menus. This is the perfect position for someone looking for a stable, daytime schedule and who would be energized by working in a school environment. We are hiring as soon as possible for an August start date. The Hot Line Chef is a 10th month position offering competitive salary and benefits.
Minimum qualifications for this position are:
- 5+ years kitchen experience.
- Knowledge of nutrition and sustainable practices.
- Able to develop creative vegetarian and international lunch options as well as more traditional items.
- Accredited Culinary School Diploma or equivalent experience in a professional kitchen.
- Understanding of Food Safety regulations, laws, and best practices including those from FDA, USDA, CFIA, and other state/provincial/ local entities.
- Able to multi-task and prioritize to complete tasks.
- Able to learn/adapt to changing requirements/situations.
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to accurately perform calculations and record-keeping.
- Has a proven track record of providing excellent customer service and hospitality; experience with kids a plus.
- Has a collaborative spirit, strong team ethic, positive and professional attitude
- Maintains an awareness of children that have allergies and food restrictions.
- Ensures that each meal is ready to be served when scheduled.
- Maintains an orderly, clean and safe kitchen area at all times, including the proper maintenance of equipment.
- Attends all required staff meetings, workshops and/or school functions.
- Maintains overall professional personal appearance adhering to Spence School guidelines.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
Competitive health, dental and retirement plan. 2 weeks paid vacation.
Level of Language Proficiency
English and some knowledge of Spanish greatly preferred.
Minimum Education Required