Families In Schools
1545 Wilshire Blvd. #700
Families In Schools (FIS) recognizes the value of strong family-school partnerships in supporting student achievement. Consequently, we provide programs and professional development that fosters authentic parent engagement by building the skills, knowledge and confidence of both parents and staff on how to work together. FIS targets low-income and underserved communities recognizing that access to quality education continues to be the gateway out of poverty and the road to the American dream. Recent research from Chicago shows that “When schools use effective family engagement practices, students are 10 times more likely to improve their math performance and 4 times more likely to improve their reading performance.” – Byrk, Sebring, Allensworth, Luppescu,& Easton, 2012. For more information, we invite you to visit our website at www.familiesinschools.org.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a leader with five to ten years of accounting and finance experience, ideally beginning in accounting and audit, followed by experience gathering, evaluating, presenting, and reporting financial information to executive teams and external stakeholders. Candidate will ideally have experience in a complex nonprofit that has multiple programs and funding sources. Reporting to the Chief Operations Officer, the Finance Manager will be responsible for preparing and managing a $3 million budget. The finance manager must be able to manage and effectively support the organization in all areas of accounting, budgeting, and finance. The finance manager will be responsible for the management of the organization’s operating budget and cash flow. This is a hands-on position, the finance manager will be expected to do data entry, create budgets and manage cost allocation for the grant reporting.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee, manage and process day-to-day accounting transactions, including account reconciliations, general ledger, accounts payable, journal entries and all related functions.
- Manage reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements including nonprofit related FASB pronouncements.
- Implement, maintain and monitor internal controls and safeguard the assets of the organization.
- Coordinate and manage all financial audit activities. Prepares all financial schedules for audit purposes.
- Manage the grant funding process to ensure funds are accounted for properly and prepare monthly billing invoices.
- Monitors spending on a regular basis and ensure that funds are used according to the funding contracts and appropriately allocate costs within accounting system.
- Assist Program Departments with invoicing, program budget updates, creation of contracts, and funder reports.
- Consistently analyze financial data and monitor progress and changes and keep senior officers abreast of the financial status of FIS.
- Prepares monthly financial reports and cash flow in an accurate and timely manner on a regular basis.
- Prepare departmental budgets and organizational budget. Monitors financial performance against budget, forecasts, and manage cash flow.
- Make financial presentations to the board and Inform the board’s audit and finance committees of issues of concern.
- Collaborate with Board Treasurer to monitor the performance of invested assets in accordance with FIS investment policies and guidelines.
- Prepare all periodic Federal, State and local required filings for the organization.
- Assist in the hiring planning process with appropriate forms.
- Collaborate with Office Manager to prepare payroll monthly.
- Provide guidance for Employee Assistance Programs as needed for staff.
- Maintain a working knowledge of CA Labor Laws as well as laws and regulations governing federal grants and contracts.
- Manage and administer employee benefits (Workers’ Compensation Insurance, Unemployment Insurance, health and dental insurance, retirement plan, paid leave and other employee benefits).
- Directly supervises intern(s) and/or volunteer(s) within the Administration department(s). Indirectly supervises 1 employee within the Administration department.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The successful candidate will thrive as a self-starter in a highly collaborative environment and produce quality, mission-driven results in helping the organization to achieve its mission. Other qualifications include:
- Minimum of a B.A.; CPA and/or MBA preferred.
- Five to ten years’ experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments.
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills, which allows for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers.
- Willingness to travel locally.
- Strong commitment to educational equity and social justice for low-income and communities of color.
- Excellent people skills with the ability to build relationships across leadership levels and functions.
- Commitment to working in the nonprofit sector and advancing community impact.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Publisher, Outlook), QuickBooks Professional, ADP TotalSource, and ADP RUN.
- Basic competence in duties and tasks of supervised employees.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, results-oriented office environment while maintaining attention to detail and quality.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a highly collaborative, integrated team;
- Access to a car, possession of a valid driver’s license, and proof of automobile insurance;
- Can lift up to 25 lbs. (books, materials, supplies, etc.);
- Willingness to work weekends and evenings, and travel throughout Los Angeles county as necessary; and
- Ability to successfully pass a finger-print background check.
Families In Schools is an at-will employer. We foster a mission-driven, collaborative work environment where teamwork, communication, excellence, quality, integrity, inquiry and commitment to community are highly valued. We provide employees with ongoing professional development opportunities through structured learning and training coupled with project assignments that maximize a diverse and high-functioning skill set. We offer a competitive benefits package that includes:
- Paid time off - 10 paid Holidays, 12 Vacation days, 10 Sick days, and Closure December 24 to December 31.
- After 60 days of successful employment FIS offers Medical, Dental, Vision and $50,000 Life Insurance. FIS pays 100% of the premium for our employees, spouses, domestic partners and dependents. Employees who select a premium insurance will contribute a premium differential.
- Paid monthly parking.
- 100% employer-paid Disability and Life insurance policies.
- 401k Group Retirement Annuity with 3% FIS contribution.
Minimum Education Required