Organization: Raintree Children & Family Services
Role: Director of Development
Start Date: Early December
Location: New Orleans, LA. Applicants must be located or willing to relocate to New Orleans. Ability to work outside of regular work hours, on occasion.
Compensation: $70,000 - $90,000 DOE
Application Deadline: September 30th, 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We encourage anyone interested to apply as soon as possible.
Application Instructions: Please carefully review the job description below and submit your application through this form. We will only consider applications that are complete and submitted via the form. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Organization Description: Raintree Children & Family Services (Raintree) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in New Orleans. Founded in 1926, Raintree has a rich history of providing a variety of services to children and families. Currently, Raintree has three main programs:
- Raintree House, a 14-bed foster group home assists an average of 37 adolescent girls between the ages of 11 and 18 years old each year.
- Raintree’s Family Support Coordination, an Early Steps Program, provides case management services to infants and toddlers experiencing developmental delays and disabilities.
- Raintree Foster Care, a therapeutic foster care program, serves an average of 40 children and youth each year. Raintree recruits and trains individuals to become foster parents who provide loving homes for children with serious medical or behavioral health needs.
Overview: Raintree is seeking a dynamic Director of Development who will be responsible for creating and implementing the organization’s fundraising strategy and development plan. The ideal candidate cares deeply about Raintree’s mission and is able to: 1) develop new relationships with supporters; 2) maintain current relationships with supporters; 3) successfully manage and execute grant applications; and 4) coordinate fundraising efforts and events. This role will include managing the day-to-day operations of development efforts, deepening and expanding Raintree’s relationships with funders and donors, and working with Raintree’s marketing department. An ideal candidate brings strong fundraising, grant writing, event planning, organizational, and interpersonal skills to the position, and has a track record of identifying and securing large grants and building positive and sustained relationships with funders and donors. An ideal candidate is enthusiastic about attending networking events and acting as an ambassador for Raintree. The position reports to the Executive Director. The Director of Development is a member of the Raintree Executive Leadership Team.
Fundraising and Development Strategy, Plan, and Process Development:
- Develops Raintree’s short- to long-term strategy and plans for fundraising and development, including goal setting, process implementation, and management for each of the areas outlined below.
Grant Writing and Grant Management:
- Serves as the grant writer for Raintree; working collaboratively and cross-departmentally with other staff, this position is responsible for grant proposal development (narrative, budget, and supplementary materials), grant management, grant evaluation, and reporting to foundations and corporations.
- Articulates the case for support of Raintree in clear, compelling, and persuasive written language to produce successful grants that will engage donors.
- Analyzes grant guidelines, as well as funder priorities and interests, to ensure that proposal ideas are the best fit for a grant maker.
- With grant project staff, determines quantitative and qualitative evaluation methods for grant requirements; this includes determining outcomes, benchmarks, methods of measurement, logic models, etc.
- Coordinates with the organization’s finance department to develop grant budgets and supports in monitoring grant expenditures, as needed.
- Organizes “post-award” meetings after a grant has been awarded with all staff involved in the grant-funded project and holds periodic meetings and/or check-ins with appropriate staff.
- Manages a grants calendar of letters of intent, grants, and reports deadlines and ensures that all deadlines are met in a timely manner.
- Enters appropriate information into a tracking database, effectively utilizing the database for tracking deadlines, strategic prospecting, moves management, and call reports.
- Provides all content for fundraising materials, including reports and acknowledgment letters, with close attention to detail.
Individual Donors, Sponsors, and Special Events:
- Expands the donor base and funding opportunities through prospect identification, research, and relationship development.
- Creates and implements a database to track donor giving history and potential of all current and prospective donors, including donor segmentation.
- Develops a fundraising events calendar for community and donor engagement.
- In conjunction with Board, staff, volunteers and partners, conceives, prioritizes, oversees implementation, and tracks strategies for marketing, fundraising and outreach activities, including events, publications, presentations, web-based communications, and other methods for raising awareness and support for Raintree.
- Implements strategies to cultivate corporations and foundations for donations and event sponsorship.
- Prepares materials, attends, and/or staffs the Executive Director, Development Committee members, and/or the Board of Directors for meetings with donors, as needed.
- Sits on and actively participates on the Board of Directors’ Development Committee.
- Oversees and manages all fundraising events for the organization.
- Conducts on-going evaluation of all fundraising efforts, gauging their effectiveness and providing quarterly reports.
- Works with the marketing department and supports marketing efforts as needed.
- Achieves and strives to exceed all goals set within the Fundraising and Development Plan.
- Meets all deadlines for submissions of letters of intent, proposals, and reports.
- Achieves annual fundraising goals through quantity and quality of proposals, and strategies to secure increased support are implemented.
- Contributes to a respectful, collaborative work environment that fosters teamwork.
- BA or equivalent work experience
- Five or more years of relevant work experience in the following:
- Nonprofit Grant Writing and Management
- Development and Fundraising
- Event Management and Execution
- Experience managing, writing, and assembling complex government grant proposals
- Experience writing grants for national foundations
Required Skills and Attributes:
- A passion for our mission and development;
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and collaboration skills;
- Ability to leverage technical systems and tools to support fundraising infrastructure;
- Ability to work with ambiguity as well as within deadlines;
- Ability to adapt and remain flexible throughout changes to funding and program environments and requirements;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Understanding of the community and who we serve;
- Comfortable working as a one-person development team (with an assistant);
- Strong understanding of budgeting; and
- Creative and resourceful problem-solver with a growth mindset.