Associate Director of Human Resources/ HR Generalist
New York, NY
Uncommon Schools (Uncommon) is a nonprofit organization that starts and manages outstanding urban charter public schools that close the achievement gap and prepares low-income students to graduate from college. We have achieved outstanding academic results based on internal assessments, statewide exams, and graduation milestones. Our schools are among the highest-performing urban schools in their cities and states. We proudly work for the 18,000 students in our 53 schools across three states in six cities, and are passionately committed to their success!
Human Resources Team Overview
The Uncommon Human Resources team is based in New York City and provides HR support to 2,500+ staff members across 53 schools and the Home Office (HO). Working in close collaboration with regional and school leaders, as well as HO managers, the team provides high-quality HR operations services as part of Uncommon’s overall investment in our people. The team works closely with Uncommon’s other Talent teams, including Recruitment, Talent Development, and Diversity to deliver a best-in-class employee experience.
We are seeking a self-driven, service-oriented team player to join our Human Resources operations team and support the administration of Uncommon’s human resources policies, procedures and programs. Day to day operations include: payroll and benefits support, workforce planning, employee relations, HR policy implementation, workforce data analysis and other related tasks.
- Employee Support
- Provides daily HR support to our employees and managers, utilizing customer service ticketing systems, knowledge library, and other resources.
- Effectively supports the administration of Uncommon’s benefits and communicate benefits plans and programs to staff in collaboration with Benefits Manager.
- Assists HR team leaders with planning and roll-out of HR programs and initiatives.
- Administers leaves including caregiver leave, workers compensation and medical leaves and coordinates payment with our short-term disability provider
- Collaborates with Accounting team members and school leaders to support payroll processing
- Effectively onboard and offboard all employees including I-9 compliance, ensuring staff receive necessary onboarding documents and exit survey distribution
- Employee Relations
- Collaborates with Director of HR/Counsel to respond to employee relations issues and concerns promptly and effectively.
- Provides guidance to employees on all HR policies and procedures.
- HR Policy Implementation
- Communicates and documents policies and programs clearly and consistently to staff and managers.
- Successfully implements HR policies, programs and processes. Ensures network-wide adoption of policies and programs by responding to feedback and assisting networks in implementation.
- Identifies opportunities to improve HR policies and propose solutions to correct inconsistent HR policies and gaps
- Monitors adherence to related compliance requirements to achieve operational excellence.
- Workforce Data and Analysis
- Executes requests for data and delivers appropriate analysis of relevant HR data
- Compiles information for routine reporting and analysis (e.g. wage/salary analysis, retention, state/federal reporting, and benefits census).
- Experience with ADP Workforce Now preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required, Professional Human Resources (PHR) Certification preferred
- 3-4 years of HR generalist experience
- Skills and Experience
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly and persuasively
- Strong client focus and ability to establish partnerships and work collaboratively with school leaders
- Excellent organizational, time management, and follow-up skills; ability to prioritize and demonstrate an appropriate sense of urgency
- Strong client focus and an ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituents
- Thrives in evolving, fast-paced, high-change dynamic organizations
- Knowledge of benefit plans’ structure/requirements and insurance claims management
- Outstanding judgment, sensitivity and high discretion
- Self-directed and able to contribute individually and as a member of a team
- Strong attention to detail and ability to project manage
- Some knowledge of employment law in New York, New Jersey and/or Massachusetts
- Above average knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Interest in education/charter schools a plus
- Willing to travel to our schools throughout our six regions
- Background working with entrepreneurial organizations is strongly preferred
- Have a ‘can-do’/flexible approach to work
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply on our website: https://uncommonschools.secure.force.com/careers/ts2__JobDetails?jobId=a0xF000001PkQbWIAV&tSource=