The Public Theater is seeking an Associate Director of Special Events who will report to the Deputy Director of Development. S/he will be responsible for all aspects of various events for The Public including logistics, operations, budgeting, financial analysis, scheduling, and outsourcing to maximize fundraising potential.
· Manage on-site logistics and production of events; responsible for positive guest experience, overseeing catering and managing talent/entertainment, managing run-of-show, working with audio/visual to ensure accurate programming, and directing live program and speakers
· Help facilitate specific aspects of additional large-scale events (Shakespeare in the Park Openings and the Annual Gala) under the direction of the Director and Deputy Director of Development; provide support on the event day and surrounding days; develop logistical and catering plans
· Responsible for supporting event-related fundraising strategies for The Public Theater; collaborate with Director and Deputy Director of Development, Major Gifts and Individual Gift teams to develop and facilitate strategic events that meet the goals of the Executive and Artistic Directors and the Office of Development
· Responsible for raising $3M gross through the Gala with the Deputy Director
· Expectation to be able to fundraise for the institution through benefits and other creative fundraising activities and special events
· Responsible for executing contracts, processing invoices, managing and reconciling expense budgets, generating accurate financial reports, and managing RSVPs and guest lists; work closely with database team to generate effective mailing lists
· Create and manage year-round special events calendar and schedule all events for the department; create and follow planning timelines; complete wrap-up of projects promptly; must keep organized records
· Develop and execute communication/collateral materials for dinners, receptions, benefits and ad- hoc cultivation events; create and follow print timelines, collaborate with graphics, marketing and press on various projects; responsible for securing appropriate approvals
· Provide event post-reports to Director and Deputy Director of Development, Major Gifts and Individual Giving teams so that all new donor/prospects are entered into Tessitura and assigned to an appropriate solicitor
· Work cross-functionally to ensure proper acknowledgements, tax receipting and recognition are handled appropriately for all events
· Manage Sponsor activations throughout the year
· Manage a staff of three in accordance with Manager Handbook guidelines
The ideal candidate is exceptionally well-organized and has a proven track record of being detail oriented, demonstrates a proactive approach and a professional, enthusiastic and positive attitude, has the ability to work independently, as well as part of a team. The ideal candidate will also possess a willingness to collaborate with colleagues across various departments in a fast-paced environment; knowledge of New York City venues and vendors, and be willing to work evenings and weekends as events require.
The ideal candidate must also possess the following requirements: Highly skilled at MS Office software, especially Excel; strong command of the written word, as well as capability to edit and proofread; superior written and verbal skills; strong technical and digital capabilities; experience with client relations/customer service preferred; experience in press relations and/or media production, a plus; experience working in fundraising and development, a plus; 5 years of progressively responsible post-collegiate experience in event planning and management, preferably in a fundraising or client-oriented environment.
This is an Exempt position, according to the Fair Labor Standards Act. Position is available immediately.
The Public is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
Please send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Minimum Education Required