The Communications Director is a dynamic communications expert and strategic leader who can support the Cultural Vistas mission and growth. This director will own and oversee digital assets and media channels both externally (social, LinkedIn, website, blogs, industry publications) and internally (intranet, weekly updates, newsletters).
The Director is a leader who will create the vision for both internal and external communications:
· Support Cultural Vistas program leadership and executive leadership in efforts to engage stakeholders and new audiences, &
· Engage employees through regular internal communications across multiple channels.
We require a strategic thinker who helps move the organization toward both our goals and the mission, as well as an active content producer to deliver on our varied communications needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will be a collaborative, engaging individual who proactively applies big picture thinking to prioritize and inspire others to follow. Goals are to:
- Further the mission
- Increase alumni engagement by 50%
- Engage and convert new audiences in existing and new programs
- Diversify participation in existing and new program
- Grow revenue
- Increase net new revenue by 3%
Areas of Focus
- Manage online and offline communications to further strategic objectives and organizational goals
- Own media channels and advise staff and management on effective strategies
- Assist program staff and executives with the go to market strategy and implementation
- Strategy and Execution: collaborate on what we want to communicate & the strategy to further the mission, and make it happen through a combination of developing copy, making edits in various channels, and coordinating with vendors & staff to do some of this work where appropriate.
- Passion for the mission
- Story telling - passion for brand development and developing the stories that engage, inspire and move people to action across all media channels
- Value proposition – enhance and support the Cultural Vistas brand and value proposition to attract and engage individuals who are committed to advancing global engagement
- Data driven - Use market feedback & analytics to define, measure and report on performance, as well as inform go-forward strategies
- Creativity & Innovation – improve reach, engagement, SEO, etc through innovative and creative communication strategies
- Digital guru – become an expert in our SalesForce platform to drive deep understanding of existing customers & markets and to develop strategies and to deliver future campaigns that produce the results we seek
- Agile mindset – ability to work in small batches, prioritize based on business needs, adapt, pivot, learn & improve
Leadership & Collaboration
- Continually support, train and coach staff on best practices to achieve the communications results they require.
- Improve our thought leadership, media relations, speech-writing and other communications opportunities
- Actively partner with staff to achieve business needs around communications and market engagement
- Stay abreast of current events and inform the organization of key issues and the implications
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Impeccable written and verbal skills with expertise in both long and short-form writing
- Demonstrated experience in digital communications, digital market and content strategy for advertising, social-media and the web (paid and organic)
- Proactive planning – prioritize, organize and execute projects effectively while balancing demands of time and needs of the organization
- Public Relations agency, public sector, grant-based communications, media relations, international exchanges and/or Capitol Hill experience a plus
Computer Equipment and Software Experience Required:
- 2+ years’ experience using, implementing or maintaining a CRM such as SalesForce and experience with content management systems to support web content (WordPress)
Education and Experience Required:
- Degree in a communications, marketing, or equivalent experience. MBA or advanced degree a plus.
- 10+ years of related experience and 4+ years of management or executive level corporate communications experience
Physical Demands of the Position:
- Domestic and international travel may be required.
- Work on weekends, holidays, and evenings may be required.