EXPERIENCED HOUSING ATTORNEY AT GULF COAST OFFICE
The Mississippi Center for Justice, an equal opportunity employer, seeks to hire an experienced attorney for our Gulf Coast office in Biloxi. The Center seeks an attorney whose substantive law concentrations include, but are not limited to, the Fair Housing Act, and the Mississippi Landlord/Tenant Act. A background in business or accounting is a plus.
The Center is a nonprofit, public interest law firm committed to advancing racial and economic justice statewide. Our lawyers work with community leaders to support their social justice campaigns and to channel the energies of the legal community to combat discrimination and poverty. With offices in Jackson, Biloxi and Indianola, we seek systemic solutions that promote educational opportunity, protect the rights of consumers, and secure access to healthcare and child care, and make fair and affordable housing available for all Mississippians.
As a full-time employee, based in Biloxi and reporting to the Housing Law Director, the attorney will support two related projects: (1) A Fair Housing education and outreach project designed to inform Mississippians about their rights under the Fair Housing Act; (2) A Fair Housing enforcement project designed to investigate and prosecute claims of housing discrimination in Southern Mississippi.
As Assistant Project Manager of the education and outreach project, job duties will include:
· Management of day to day project operations
· Management of project timelines
· Organizations and maintenance of project records
· Preparation of project reports
As Testing Coordinator for the enforcement project, job duties will include:
· Investigation of Fair Housing claims
· Development of Fair Housing tests
· Supervision of Fair Housing testers
· Analyzing Fair Housing testing results
· At least three (3) years of law practice experience
· Background in Mississippi Landlord/Tenant law and Fair Housing Act is required
· Excellent written and verbal communications skills
· Licensed in Mississippi, or capable of passing the Mississippi Bar within six (6) months
· Excellent organizational, networking and relationship-building skills
· Commitment to the mission of the Mississippi Center for Justice
The position will be open until filled. Please send brief letter of interest, resume and two (2) references to HousingAttorney2@mscenterforjustice.org
Minimum Education Required