116 East 16th Street
Director, Communications and Outreach
Reports to: INCLUDEnyc Executive Director
INCLUDEnyc (www.INCLUDEnyc.org) brings love, equity, and access to young people with disabilities in New York City. We help families and young people through age 26, with any disability, in all five boroughs. With a staff of 32 and a budget of $3.2 million, INCLUDEnyc works to improve the lives of families through one-on-one support, training and information, and connections to community resources. INCLUDEnyc empowers families, youth, and professionals with the knowledge, confidence, and skills to make informed decisions, effectively access and navigate systems and services, and to advocate for themselves and others. For more than 35 years, we have helped make New York a more inclusive city.
The Director of Communications and Outreach provides strategic leadership as a member of INCLUDEnyc’s senior management team. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Communications will develop and implement INCLUDEnyc’s communication strategy to maximize the organization’s impact and reach. Key stakeholders include youth, family members, community professionals, funders, government officials, and the media.
The Director will lead a team that oversees all of INCLUDEnyc’s communications and outreach efforts to economically, linguistically, and culturally diverse families in New York City, and New York State, and the organizations that support them. Additionally, the Director will work collaboratively with INCLUDEnyc’s program and development teams as INCLUDEnyc builds its donor community through strategic communications and designs and produces meaningful information resources to support program initiatives.
- Create a comprehensive communications strategy for INCLUDEnyc leveraging all communications tactics and targeted at multiple markets (especially English- and Spanish-speaking). Strategy should include the development and implementation of a comprehensive earned media plan
- Write and/or edit organizational materials, in partnership with program and development teams, including program materials, annual report, policy papers, press releases and other internal and external communications
- Manage and develop INCLUDEnyc’s three-member communications and outreach team
- Coordinate board-level Communications committee
- Oversee INCLUDEnyc digital communications efforts, including websites (English and Spanish) and social media initaitives
- Design and conduct targeted outreach to maximize participation by broad and diverse communities in INCLUDE events, workshops, and to promote awareness of INCLUDEnyc’s services and advocacy efforts
- Serve as initial point person for press inquiries
- Ensure all organizational information is organized, accessible, and communicated in family-friendly, clear, and engaging manner, maintaining a consistent message reflecting INCLUDEnyc’s core values
- Leverage technological tools to analyze data, understand trends, and improve service delivery
- Represent INCLUDEnyc, its values, voice, and priorities at external meetings and public events
- BA required, advanced degree in nonprofit management, communications, or related field preferred
- 5+ years of progressive responsibility in communications, public, or media relations
- Experience in creating and executing a media and communications strategy on behalf of a non-profit or for-profit entity
- Previous people management experience preferred
- Knowledge of special education, human services, disability rights or services, or other field directly relating to young people with disabilities and their families, a plus
- Media relations expertise with a track record of establishing strong press relations
- Excellent project management skills
- Collaborative, problem-solving work style, with the ability to partner closely with program, development, and executive staff
- Clear, concise, and warm verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to represent INCLUDEnyc’s values, voice, and priorities in writing and speech
- Ability to flex written communications style to a wide variety of diverse stakeholders, including non-English speaking constituents
- Knowledge of technology tools used to research, analyze data, and identify trends for various communications platforms
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (including Word, PowerPoint), Google Apps for Business (Gmail, Docs/Drive), databases (Salesforce preferred), with a track record of leveraging emerging technologies to create efficiencies in the workplace
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) preferred; knowledge of CMS technologies (e.g., Expression Engine), and current and emerging social media and other technology platforms
- Demonstrated commitment to INCLUDEnyc’s mission building positive educational outcomes for young New Yorkers with disabilities, parent leadership, and self-advocacy skills in youth
Please send resume, cover letter and salary requirements in .doc or .pdf format, subject line: “LAST NAME_Director of Communications” to email@example.com.
As an equal opportunity employer, INCLUDEnyc believes that equal opportunity for all employees is important for the continuing success of our organization. In accordance with state and federal law, INCLUDEnyc employment decisions and practices will not be influenced or affected by race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sex, marital status, veteran status, disability, age or any other characteristic protected by law.
Level of Language Proficiency
English with Spanish Preferred
Minimum Education Required