5500 Phinney Ave N
We are excited to welcome a new member to our dynamic Human Resources team! Join us and support the zoo’s mission by helping develop and nurture a positive, inclusive workplace culture. We're looking for a professional and confident Employee & Labor Relations Specialist to grow with our team. This position provides effective and objective employee and labor relations consultation services to employees and management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves as initial point of contact for advice, problem resolution, facilitation in employee relations including labor/union relations, performance management, and employee discipline; advises both employees and management regarding employee relations policies, procedures, and documentation.
- Responsible for supporting and maintaining good working relationships with union representatives; satisfying requirements of the collective bargaining agreement. Provides guidance to employees and management on the grievance process, documentation needs, and timelines. Supports collective bargaining negotiations and document agreements.
- Conducts investigations around employment issues, working to successfully resolve issues keeping in mind risk management and employee morale. Works with management on appropriate solutions. Writes reports and other written documentation as required.
- Counsels and advises employees and management on ADA and other leave accommodation issues and requests.
- Off-boarding employees and conducting exit interviews; analyzes feedback and reports findings to key stakeholders.
- Maintains excellent workplace relationships. Strives for the highest levels of customer service. Responds to emails and phone calls in a professional and timely manner.
- Handles confidential information in an appropriately professional and respectful manner.
- Maintains knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks, and ensuring compliance.
- Provides the HR team with support and assistance as required on a variety of projects and HR initiatives.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A desire to help people combined with demonstrated experience of effectively managing personnel and employment matters.
- Strong compliance knowledge of federal and state employment and labor laws including ADA, FMLA, FLSA, WISHA/OSHA, harassment, NLRA etc.
- Strong compliance knowledge of federal and state employment and labor laws
- Ability to function in a fast-paced, innovative environment
- Proficient written and oral communication skills
- Ability to establish and sustain positive and productive interpersonal relationships
- Critical thinking skills to identify the underlying principles, motivations, reasons, or facts by breaking down information or data into separate parts
- Business acumen to create added-value to our company, managers, employees, by aligning HR practices with business objectives
- Demonstrate time management and prioritization skills necessary to complete tasks in a timely manner
- Strong Microsoft Office computer suite skills, including Word, PowerPoint, and basic Excel. Working knowledge of HRIS databases
- Integrity –job requires appropriate handling of confidential, sensitive information
- Commitment to the mission of the zoo and the institution’s Core Values.
- Bachelor's degree (B.S or B.A.) in Industrial Relations, HR or Business Management or equivalent experience or combination of experience and education.
- 3-5 years human resources experience
- Must have demonstrated employee and labor relations experience
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
PHR, SPHR or SHRM-SCP certification desirable.
- Please be sure to submit the following materials along with your application:
- Cover Letter
- Applications are only accepted online through our Jobs page at www.zoo.org
- No phone calls please
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications are due prior to 12:00 AM on the posted Close date (i.e. by 11:59 PM the evening before).
Minimum Education Required